• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Tart's Tick" (1 Viewer)

Stringer

Firstly, apologies to anyone offended by the thread title, i just dont know of another snappy way of describing this.
For those who dont know the term, a "tarts tick" is a species that you have not seen yet, but feel that you should have done.
OK, ive seen 380+ species in the uk, but still need long tailed skua, a "real" white stork, and "subalpine warbler".
By the way, I know of a birder who has seen 400+ species, but still needs Quail. He told me that long tailed skua was his 399th tick, so there is hope for me yet!.:hippy:

Hi Stringer,
Only the inevitable Tree Pipit would REALLY qualify as a "tart's tick":the rest are official IRBC rarities.
A friend of mine(who shall remain nameless!)has a list over 300 but needs Leach's Petrel and Wood Warbler!
Harry

i Stringer, 3 remaining non B.B rarities for me, Quail and white-tailed eagle and Aquatic warbler, I am going to try my best to get at least 1 of them this year, not sure which but if I have to sit in a field for four days I will see quail soon!!!

I have a friend whos over 450, but I had seen 3 subalpine warblers before he managed 1! theres hope yet.

O.K. This is for you North American birders. I live in Pennsylvania, which is pretty far north. My life list has well over 800 birds on it. Not one Evening Grossbeak! I swear, they must see me coming! Oh yeah, no Philadelphia Vireos either. I know they migrate right past me.

dennis

I have never seen Aquatic Warbler or Snowy Owl but have seen 429 in Britian when i gave up twitching.

I know a lad who started birding here last year and hit the jackpot in his first autumn trip with some old-hands. As a result he had the bizarrest Icelandic warbler list ever which was something like Sykes' Warbler, Blyth's Reed Warbler, Barred Warbler but no Blackcap, Chiffchaff or Willow Warbler.

Mediterranean Gull is I suppose a fairly common European bird I've never seen anywhere (never seen in Iceland though) and Marsh Warbler is another. And there is a bird which breeds in over 100,000 pairs in Iceland that I still haven't seen - Leach's Petrel.

E

When you talk about your life list is that just for England or does it include all of United Kingdon? Is Republic of Ireland included? For a stranger it is a bit of a puzzle to know where your boundaries are.

Nancy from Aussie

Life lists are birds seen anywhere. I don't have a British list as I haven't lived there for years but I'm sure people will tell you their rules (Republic of Ireland is DEFINITELY NOT included in people's British lists though!!!). I keep a world list (389) and an Iceland list (157).

And of course, there are year lists, county lists, patch lists, garden lists, window lists, birds-seen-whilst-sitting-on-the-toilet lists, birds-I've-driven-into lists, birds-I've-eaten lists (I don't bother with the last three but I've seen them) although people don't go out of their way to add to their birds-I've-driven-into list in fact try and avoid new additions but it happens....

Hi Edward,

Talking of beginners with silly lists, I've heard tell of two outstanding UK cases:

1. A new birder who had seen Dusky Warbler and Radde's Warbler, but not Chiffchaff,

and even worse - but I'm assured true -

2. Gray-cheeked Thrush and Swainson's Thrush, but not ... Mistle Thrush

Guess I'm a bit in the old school who reckon that people shouldn't be allowed on twitches, until they've got a good base of common birds under their belt :)

Michael

I agree Michael but I too have some incongruous birds on my life list. I've seen Spanish Imperial Eagle, but not Hobby, I've seen Bonelli's Eagle but not Honey Buzzard, Of course, both of the "not seen" birds have European populations greatly in excess of the "seen" birds and I have been to areas where Hobby and HB are present!

Hang on, I had Yellow-rumped Warbler on my life list before Sedge or Reed Warbler and I grew up in England and have never visited the States!

I'm not one for ticks myself but do get a bit of a buzz when I see one of the rarer species, such as the two White Tailed Eagles I saw earlier this month near Gairloch, NW Scotland. A few years ago I also saw a Quail do a brief touchdown in the grass along Birdcage Walk!!. Sorry about that Ashley!

Not me, but on my brother (Warren`s) behalf:-

He saw both Savi`s Warbler & River Warbler in the UK before managing to see Grasshopper Warbler!

Hi all,
Edward:"Republic of Ireland is DEFINITELY NOT included in people's British lists though!"
Why did so many come over for the White-crowned Sparrow then?;-)
Michael:"people shouldn't be allowed on twitches, until they've got a good base of common birds under their belt :)"
Definitely the case for me;was birding since 1990 but only started twitching regularly in 1998(went for the occasional bird in and around Cork city from about 1993-1997,but prob.only 5 birds max in all that time!)
Wasn't there supposed to be a UK birder that ticked Am.Redstart before Redstart??;-)
Harry

Hi Harry,

That redstart case does ring a bell, now you mention it!

I got my first BB rarity (Radde's Warbler) only a couple of years into serious birding, but at least it was on a bird club official trip, and was found on the trip, not a twitch!

Michael

Have a Glossy Ibis (blown 'way off course into northern Ohio), but no Peregrine Falcon, even tho they nest right in town.

Sometimes it's just dumb luck!

I'm sure there are a lot of birders who,as beginners,had fairly rare species pointed out to them by authoritative sounding 'experts' whilst sitting in a hide at Minsmere or Titchwell for example.
If they saw the same bird again,could they identify it?

Hi Denis:
I live in the city of Edmonton, Province of Alberta in Canada :)
At our lake cabin about 100 miles west of the city, I have the pleasures of Pine Grossbeaks, Evening Grossbeaks, Rosebreasted Crossbeaks etc...
I will let those birdies know, that on there way back migrating south, to drop by and say hello eH from Canada....
drop by my website and enjoy..
www.walther-loff.com
cheers
Walther
p.s. even better, I will send some nice Alberta Steaks to drop off en route he he he.
ciao

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back