• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cliffe 5 (1 Viewer)

Ruby

Just a single bird this time - but no idea what it is....

Attachments

• cliffe 5.jpg
    cliffe 5.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 189
Aha! You got a Cliffe 5, then!!!

I'm tempted to say juvenile Cormorant. (Bit of an odd pose though!)

You've shown yourself to be much better than me at this in the past, Spud... but I still can't see Little Grebe.

Can you give me a couple of pointers?

Hi Spud/Birdman,
I must admit to being somewhere in between both your positions:I thought that it looked like a Little Grebe,but didn't have the courage of my convictions to say so(in particular,the fact that it appeared to be on land threw me somewhat,especially for a non-breeding bird!)
Harry H

Hi Guys,

Just to put in my own 2p...

I've only ever seen little grebes in the water, but they tend to look.... well.... Little!

I had the impression that this bird seemed to be bigger than that. It's difficult in my (not v good) phote, as there's not much to give an idea of scale.

Rgds... Ruby

Stringer said:
RED THROATED DIVER??
Are you stringing, Stringer??? ;)

I must confess, my gut reaction was "diver" although the closest I could get was GNDiver, and I figured that was just too ridiculous.

I tried Grebes, but just wasn't happy will bill shape, and didn't think it was as little as a Little Grebe... although looking at the background...

Hence my tentative Cormorant - but it's still an odd pose!

Come on Spud, you've not talked me out of it yet...

I agree that this is certainly a Little Grebe. Having said that, it would be helpful if there was a nearby spade, like Geologists put in pictures to show how big a rock is. The extent of dark on the crown and the somewhat patchy buff and white underparts are absolutely right for Little Grebe and not really much else (except perhaps Shag, which it isn't). The head and bill shape looks very grebe-like to me - although it's hard to describe precisely what I mean by 'grebe-like'. Interesting that Ruby said it looked a bit big but it's worth remembering that quite a bit of the body is submerged when the bird is swimming so out of the water they will tend to look a bit bulkier. Anyway - definitely a Little Grebe!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back