• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Telescope/Birding Tripods (1 Viewer)

ghostrider

Sorry if this seems a dumb question but are Telescope tripods just as suitable for photography? I have a reasonable tripod for my scope a Velbon Delta. Is it worth investing in one specifically for cameras? The only drawback i can see is i have to unscrew the mounting plate off the scope and onto the camera.

Yup, it'll work just fine with the camera as long as you're not using a massively heavy lens. Rather than swapping the Quick-Release Plate why not get a second one and leave both attached all the time. If the Velbon Delta is the same as the one that In-Focus give away for free then it probably came with a PH-157Q head, which uses a QB-157 QRP - available from Warehouse Express for just over a tenner.

Usually telescope tripod heads will not go "vertical" - i.e. pivot a camera to take a vertical picture. This is one of the main differences between a typical "3-way pan/tilt" head for photography (the 3rd way is pivoting to the vertical) and a standard "video" head usually used for scopes.

Sorry if this seems a dumb question but are Telescope tripods just as suitable for photography? I have a reasonable tripod for my scope a Velbon Delta. Is it worth investing in one specifically for cameras? The only drawback i can see is i have to unscrew the mounting plate off the scope and onto the camera.

It depends on the lens you plan to use. If you have a large 400 f.28 or 500/600 you will more than likely need a gimbal head such as the Wimberley. Those lens mounts are designed to mount the lens, not the camera body. This is because they are balanced by the weight of the lens/body and are easier to swing and tilt to follow the action.

If you are using something less than a 400mm, a normal ball head will probably suffice.

Either way, you need a steady tripod to take photographs. Don't go cheap because it won't work and you will just be frustrated and have spent money on a tripod you will just have to immediately replace.

Norm

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back