• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

tame Garganeys on wintering grounds? (1 Viewer)

wimvdam

Does anyone have experience with wintering Garganeys that behave much more tame than one would typically expect from this species? I'm thinking about hanging out in city ponds, being attracted by kids feeding ducks, that kind of stuff. Are there cases of genuine wild Garganeys that, for one reason or the other, lost their usual shyness?

Here's the background to this question. A few days ago a hatch-year Garganey showed up in a park in Orcutt, California. In many aspects this bird looks good for being a genuine vagrant: it's the right season, it's a first year bird, and its feathers and hind toes are intact. Its tameness, however, has raised questions about its provenance. I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to have a wild, young, lost bird with this behavior.

Thanks.

Wim van Dam
US-CA Solvang

Does anyone have experience with wintering Garganeys that behave much more tame than one would typically expect from this species? I'm thinking about hanging out in city ponds, being attracted by kids feeding ducks, that kind of stuff. Are there cases of genuine wild Garganeys that, for one reason or the other, lost their usual shyness?

Here's the background to this question. A few days ago a hatch-year Garganey showed up in a park in Orcutt, California. In many aspects this bird looks good for being a genuine vagrant: it's the right season, it's a first year bird, and its feathers and hind toes are intact. Its tameness, however, has raised questions about its provenance. I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to have a wild, young, lost bird with this behavior.

Thanks.

Wim van Dam
US-CA Solvang

I have seen an adult male hanging out with park lake Mallards, so I would think it's possible if admittedly very uncommon.

I think the key here is "on wintering grounds", not something I'm too familiar with, but this individual last year in early September was mooching with the assorted gubbins you get on most town park ponds (although in this instance the "town" is the village of Hornsea in East Yorkshire, which has a rather large lake attached, but the principle holds). Didn't see it coming to bread or anything, but I don't think I've ever seen one tamer, and have no reason to suspect it wasn't wild.

Attachments

• IMG_1229.JPG
    IMG_1229.JPG
    332.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1055.JPG
    IMG_1055.JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1063.JPG
    IMG_1063.JPG
    283.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1072.JPG
    IMG_1072.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1077.JPG
    IMG_1077.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 58
I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the CA bird being a wild bird, but at the same time I just can't get the 5% of my brain that questions it out. To chase or not to chase... if it was a few hours closer it'd be an easy answer.

I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the CA bird being a wild bird, but at the same time I just can't get the 5% of my brain that questions it out. To chase or not to chase... if it was a few hours closer it'd be an easy answer.

Usual rule in these circumstances applies.

If you go, and see it, it's wild.

If you don't go, or if you go, but miss it, it's an escape.

8-P

Thanks everyone. I agree that this discussion is a lot about "birder behaviour". How this individual ends up in the books probably depends on how many CBRC members make the effort to go out and see it themselves.

Wim

LGRE's authority doesn't extend to the USA ;)

:-O

He had a lot to say about the Spanish (Italian?) sparrow that arrived in Los Angeles, I seem to recall. Although if you weren't on the local LA group, you might not know that.

Now to determine if his authority is ship-assisted in the US or not...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back