• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ravens can plan for the future (1 Viewer)

katastrofa

Supporter
Norway
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/07/ravens-humans-and-apes-can-plan-future

All of us know how tough it can be to delay gratification. But human civilization was built around our supposedly unique ability to plan—to anticipate future needs and sacrifice now to reap the rewards later. Apes knocked us off our special perch nearly a decade ago when they showed that they, too, can plan for future events. Now, a new study on tool use and bartering in ravens reveals that these clever birds are joining the club—suggesting that the ability to plan for the future must have evolved at least twice.

That is another of many papers which show that corvids (ravens, crows, magpies, jays) mentally match great apes and are above monkeys and dolphins.

It raises a new question: should humans protect corvids more on ethical grounds, because they are so mentally advanced? Average person agrees that monkeys, apes and dolphins need somehow special treatment, because they are more clever than an average animal. For example most people in the West would eat fish and chicken but not eat dolphin or monkey meat. Shouldn't Western hunters or farmers try solving their conflicts with corvids in more ethical way?

I also feel that much of animal psychology or 'theory of mind' is false or limited only to humans and their relatives, because corvids so easily pass multiple steps of it.

That is another of many papers which show that corvids (ravens, crows, magpies, jays) mentally match great apes and are above monkeys and dolphins.

It raises a new question: should humans protect corvids more on ethical grounds, because they are so mentally advanced? Average person agrees that monkeys, apes and dolphins need somehow special treatment, because they are more clever than an average animal. For example most people in the West would eat fish and chicken but not eat dolphin or monkey meat. Shouldn't Western hunters or farmers try solving their conflicts with corvids in more ethical way?

For me the answer is yes.

I also feel that much of animal psychology or 'theory of mind' is false or limited only to humans and their relatives, because corvids so easily pass multiple steps of it.

I am not sure what you mean by the above?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back