• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod.....Again. (1 Viewer)

Talon 1

Sorry, but a follow up to my original thread i am having a few problems with height of the pods. I am 6ft 2 ins and with a budget of £100 preferably for pod and head for my nikon d70 but might stretch to just the pod and then try for the head in next months wage packet they all seem on the low side.

Can anyone reccomend one in my range at the tall end of the scale..........I wish i wasn't a lanky Bar steward B :)

If you can push your budget a little bit then you could go for Manfrotto 055 legs (£89.95) and a 128 head (mail order return at warehouse £30) - this is an excellent set up and woudl be fine for you - when fully extended it stands at 192cm tall.

Having had a quick look round I think you'll struggle to find a tripod with that height within your budget. You could go for a Velvon CX-640 (£55) (extends to 162cm) but you probably end up wating to upgrade it.

If you're coming to Norfolk soon, you'd be welcome to borrow my Velbon D-600 (extends to 162cm) and use it until you can afford the tripod you really want.

Hi Free,

I am 6' 3" and find the Manfrotto 055C (old version) combined with a 222 pistol grip head is plenty tall enough for telescope (straight through Leica) and photography (Canon 20D). The grip adds an extra 6-8" of height!

Only drawback is that it is quite a weighty beast (actualy an advantage for seawatching) - they are to be found quite regularly on the internet auction sites as my sister picked one up for £45 with a basic head about 6 weeks ago.

For new kit at reasonable prices you may wish to try Warehouse Express at:

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/

who offer an excellent service, plus finance, etc.

Nut Hatch said:
Alternatively, just click on the large banner at the top of the page!

OOPS ! ! ! ! !

No wonder I can never find Aquatic Warbler - now where are my white cane and labrador ??????

I have just purchased a 055pro with a 128 head.

My general landscape and potrait shots are ok but the long range birdie stuff really suffers from camera shake .

So here,s waiting.

Any tips on this set up?
(D70+ 135-400mm) + Above. B :)

Hanno said:
Apart from the tripod, you might want to get a remote shutter release.

Hanno,

Bloody brilliant site mate, what can i say?

Well apart from can you send me one of those Lobsters! :clap: B :)

Hanno said:
Cheers Free,,

And I had excellent prawns yesterday, washed down with copious amounts of cold Tiger Beer:))

Ever heard the saying.'Rubbing salt into the wound' B :)

Still..........I had Roast Lamb and Yorkshire Pudding with all the trimmings followed by a selection of cheeses from around the world and a glass of vintage port!
Now i have travelled alot to Europe the Far and middle east and was there for many years and had the glorius Seafood you are eating but after 6 years the above was just mouth watering....... so name your second sir and Pistols at the ready' ;) B :)

Well, what I admittedly really do miss over here are the Cheeses, just cannot get any good cheese. And I haven't had Yorkshire Pudding in twenty years:-(( Ah well, I suppose the grass is always greener on the other side.....

Free said:
Ever heard the saying.'Rubbing salt into the wound' B :)

Still..........I had Roast Lamb and Yorkshire Pudding with all the trimmings followed by a selection of cheeses from around the world and a glass of vintage port!
Now i have travelled alot to Europe the Far and middle east and was there for many years and had the glorius Seafood you are eating but after 6 years the above was just mouth watering....... so name your second sir and Pistols at the ready' ;) B :)

Roast lamb with Yorkshire pudding???
Should be ashamed of yourself...vintage port my arse!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back