• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buzzard Behaviour Question (1 Viewer)

brian sheppard

For the past three days, between noon and 3pm, there has been what I can only describe as a flight of Buzzards over my house.
On Thursday last I heard a shriek, not dissimilar to a Seagulls call and there were five buzzards at about 400ft circling and gradually moving West to East and calling to each other. Friday, approx same time same flight pattern, I spotted 3 and yesterday 4. On each occasion No camera. Today however I am ready for them (hope springs eternal) and will have my camera on tripod set up for them. Do these birds have a regular pattern of hunting, I live between Southampton and Winchester and the area is fairly built up.

Hi Brian,
Buzzards are expanding their range and now becoming quite common in built up areas, even as far south as you are. They prefer to use thermals for soaring (less effort) and at this time of year noon to 3.00pm being generally the warmest time of day, is most likely to produce these thermals. Up here in NE Scotland, buzzards are now very common, and I can expect to see up to ten at a time in autumn. Fantastic birds, enjoy them.
BTW, when I say thermals I mean columns of hot air, not expensive fancy underwear.

Ken

Hi Ken
Did my stint in the garden Sunday peering into the sky, but only saw one Buzzard and that was miles up and away. This morning two groups, one of 3 and one of 4 about half a mile apart came over at 11am. The 4 were directly over the house, I managed 30 shots but I think I need more than my 200mm to realy get a good picture.

Bian

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back