• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anti-twist quick release plate: info needed (1 Viewer)

gmax

Sontium Dweller
Hello everybody,
I'd like to know if the following quick-release plate
  • Manfrotto 200USS ANTITWIST
will fit my 128RCNAT head (I'm currently using a 200PL-14 QR plate)
If not, are there any other available anti-twist plates available on the market?
Thank you very much,
Max

I'm not sure if the 200USS plate will fit your head. However, I have another suggestion: the new (I think) 3157NR plate - see it here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...481&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

It is described on the B&H site as: "Finally, a solution to the tired problem of unwanted movement between gear and quick release plate. This new plate, which works with all RC2-accepting (3157N) Bogen quick release assemblies, features a metal lip which can be positioned in front or in back of the camera/tripod collar to eliminate rotation."

It only costs $23 (the 200USS costs $54) and I just got one. It fits perfectly on my scope and slides into my 700 head fine. The way it is designed, it seems that it would fit into any head that takes a regular 3157N plate.

RAH said:
I'm not sure if the 200USS plate will fit your head. However, I have another suggestion: the new (I think) 3157NR plate - see it here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...481&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

It is described on the B&H site as: "Finally, a solution to the tired problem of unwanted movement between gear and quick release plate. This new plate, which works with all RC2-accepting (3157N) Bogen quick release assemblies, features a metal lip which can be positioned in front or in back of the camera/tripod collar to eliminate rotation."

It only costs $23 (the 200USS costs $54) and I just got one. It fits perfectly on my scope and slides into my 700 head fine. The way it is designed, it seems that it would fit into any head that takes a regular 3157N plate.
Excellent advice, thanks!
Now, does anybody know where I can check the compatibility of this plates with my head? In the Manfrotto's site I could not find anything ... is there anybody experienced with them who can provide with an equivalence table between EU (Manfrotto) and US (Bogen) models?
thanks,
Max

EDIT: found! Here it is ... perhaps it may need some updating, but that's what I was looking for. Excellent job, well done!

Last edited:
postcardcv said:
hi Max

both the 200USS and the 200PLARCH-14 will work in a 128rc head...

Great news! ... I've just found one for 23 $ (shipping included) and I think I'll get one
Thank you Peter and Rah

gmax said:
Great news! ... I've just found one for 23 $ (shipping included) and I think I'll get one
Thank you Peter and Rah

Hello, just an update.
The 200PLARCH-14 has just been delivered, and, as soon as I got it, I mounted on the 128RC2 head.
Result: the lens will not twist, but first problem: it is now badly out of balance. With a bit of "craftmanship" I managed to resolve it.
Second problem: the plate is rather loose when inserted in the head ... it will not slip out but I'm afraid it may compromise stability. Is this a feature of this plate in general or only mine?
Is there anybody else out there who has experienced such problems?
Thank you for your advice
Max

I think that it is more likely a fault with your head than with the plate - i.e. I think all those plates are pretty much the same, as far as the section that slides into the head. Isn't there a locking or tightening screw or mechanism to secure the plate? (e.g. on the 700 head, there's a locking screw with a small lever handle).

As far as the balance, that was one reason I figured I'd prefer the 3157NR over the 200 - the 200 is larger and more elaborate. It probably does a better job of stopping twist (I notice with the 3157NR you have to REALLY tighten it), but it is more bulky.

RAH said:
I think that it is more likely a fault with your head than with the plate - i.e. I think all those plates are pretty much the same, as far as the section that slides into the head. Isn't there a locking or tightening screw or mechanism to secure the plate? (e.g. on the 700 head, there's a locking screw with a small lever handle).

As far as the balance, that was one reason I figured I'd prefer the 3157NR over the 200 - the 200 is larger and more elaborate. It probably does a better job of stopping twist (I notice with the 3157NR you have to REALLY tighten it), but it is more bulky.

Hello RAH,
yes, on the head there's a small safety lever to secure against accidental release but there's not a tightening screw.
The fact is that both my old 200PL-14 and the new one slides into the head in the same way, but the old one is not loose at all ... I guess I'll have to measure them to check if the new one is somehow different ..
Do you refer to this plate (the one I got): 3157NR / RAPID CONNECT ARCHITECTURAL RECTANGULAR PLATE (1/4"-20 SCREW)?

Max

gmax said:
Do you refer to this plate (the one I got): 3157NR / RAPID CONNECT ARCHITECTURAL RECTANGULAR PLATE (1/4"-20 SCREW)?

Max
Yes, that is the number and the description that Manfrotto uses. It differs from a regular 3157 plate in that it has a sliding plate on the top with a flange along one edge. You slide the flange hard against one edge of your scope's support and tighten it in place as you do normally.

As far as just having a safety screw but not a tightening screw, yeah, that's the way a lot of the Manfrotto heads are (e.g. the standard 3-way head 3030). The inexpensive 700 head which I use on my scope has a tightening screw, which seems like a good feature. Go figure.

postcardcv said:
hi Max

both the 200USS and the 200PLARCH-14 will work in a 128rc head...

Hi Peter,
do you know anybody experienced with these plates?
I'm amazed that a Manfrotto plate does not fit exactly in a Manfrotto socket .. or am I doing something wrong?
Just for the sake of clarity:

the head is the 128RC (or 3130)
the old QR plate is the 200PL-14 (or 3157N)

Here there's a link where a comparison between the 3157N versus 200USS is made; I'm not sure but it seems to me that the 200USS is an adapter plate, which means that it has to be mounted on a 3157N plate ... or am I wrong?

Thanks,
Max

Max, you're confusing me. Which release plate(s) do you now have? You said earlier, "The 200PLARCH-14 has just been delivered," but then later you said, "Do you refer to this plate (the one I got): 3157NR ..." . Or is this the old Manfrotto multiple names for the same article, depending on what country you live in?

The plate that I have is the 3157NR (not 3157N, which is the standard one), which I have described earlier. It costs $23, which sounds like what you paid.

From my looking at the pictures of the 200USS, it has a standard 3157N plate attached to the bottom, just as the 3157NR has a standard 3157N plate attached to its bottom (i.e. it comes that way). I have never seen a picture of either that didn't show a plate on the bottom.

Hi Max

I have tried both the 200USS and the 200PLARCH-14 with a 128 head and have never had any problems with them. I ended up buying the 200PLARCH-14 and fnever had any problems with it not fitting, it worked in just the same way as the standard plate. It will only work one way round so you need to put it in the right way, if put in the wrong way it will go in, but won't be a secure fit.

Well, I finally did a Google and discovered that yes, the 200PLARCH-14 is the same item as the 3157NR. OK, I've got it now!

postcardcv said:
Hi Max
It will only work one way round so you need to put it in the right way, if put in the wrong way it will go in, but won't be a secure fit.

I think that's the case ... |:$| .. now all I have to do is removing the flange and mount it the opposite way: the lens is now badly out of balance, so I need to gain some cm forward

Thanks everybody

Max

Edit: it's not possible to gain some cm forward by inverting the plate :( ... the lens now is stable, but out of balance

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back