• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

November Trip to Madrid (1 Viewer)

gnome

I'm due out on a business trip to Madrid in November. I've never birded Spain at all and so am looking for advice on what to look out for "in passing" that might be around at that time of year.

I'm also thinking of staying on an extra day in order to do some dedicated birding of the nearby area. What species might I reasonably see at that time of year and where would be good places to go? Is perhaps the best thing just to get a guide to take me around as it's my first visit and if so are there any recommended people/companies to use?

TIA

Adam

i enjoyed my time with Luis Sitges. See https://www.birdingtrekkingandnature.com/

If on your own, go to the main parks like El Retiro and keep an eye out for "Spanish" green woodpecker (ssp/sp sharpei depending on taxonomic authority), short-toed treecreeper etc. Introduced parrots of various species are common and there'll probably be some waterfowl in the parks. Alas things like Western Bonelli's warbler will be absent. if going by yourself, Monte el Pardo should have vultures at least, probably also iberian azure magpie etc. I've seen Spanish Imperial Eagle there with Luis.

From memory there are lots of online resources and many sites which are fairly easy to get to by public transport from the centre. Here's one such starting point:

https://turismomadrid.es/en/to-see-and-do/active-tourism-and-nature/birding.html

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back