• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall, Somerset/N.Devpm, South Devon (1 Viewer)

pduxon

Quacked up Member
I'm spending a week touring the west country starting 29th sept.

Staying at Wheddon Cross(Somerset/N Dev border), Staverton (nr Totnes S. Devon) and Cornwall (nr Redruth). Although not planned as a birding holiday the bins will be around the neck and I might drag a scope along ;)

Would any of you be so kind as to suggest a few good spots.

Pete
Bowling Green Marsh at Topsham is a really good place - I beleive 'Issy' the Glossy Ibis is still there and Spoonbill, Osprey and Pec Sand have been seen recently.

Aylesbeare Common is good for Dartford Warbler. Both are about 45 minutes from Wheddon Cross.

Im sure others are better placed than me to give you other sites but I believe Goshawks are frequently seen at a loca lraptor watch point ( I can't remember the name). Cornwall has got to be Hayle Estuary (my Grandparents lived in Hayle & I saw my first Long Billed Dowitcher here 25 years ago!). Thats just the start!

If you're at Redruth, you have to visit Stithians Reservoir. Anything can - and does turn up at this time of year. The Black Duck is still being reported occasionally so you may be lucky. A little further afield and you can get to Hayle and Marazion.

Darrell

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back