• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Australia Itinerary (1 Viewer)

Most of the birding sites can be reached via paved rd and normal sedan car.

Correct, but once you are at the park entry, that is where the gravel starts. When we were there, we had lots of miles on gravel as well. Accidents are unlikely in those areas, but should they happen, you may be in deep shit if you have not read the fine print.

Niels

Interesting stuff regarding the car hire posts. I tend to give rental cars the 'top gear treatment' when I'm on birding/wildlife trips and Australia was no exception. BTW I get the rental car companies to mark every possible ding etc... on the damage sheet. This has helped me numerous times in the past, often covering additional dings that were added etc... Also one of my CCs covers me for primary CDW and maybe LDW (I forget) for almost all circumstances inc gravel roads (except for certain vehicles) which saves me getting the rental companies insurance (only a handful of CCs are comprehensive though).

About car hire - at least some companies allow gravel road access to campsites in national parks - check details. I did some in a mini car, in terms of driving it was no problem.

About scratching the car - I simply carefully photograph a hired car from all sides in presence of the agent on pick up and return.

About road maps and Pizzey and Knight bird guide - they seemed impossible to very expensive to get in Europe, but in Brisbane I went to a bigger bookshop and they had lots, and I saw them later also in the airport bookshop. So I suggest renting some birdguide in your place for preparation, but buy the real stuff in AU.

Familiarize yourself with the rather peculiar system of pre-payment of toll motorways and NP camping places - these are checked, don't be tempted just to drive and claim ignorance.

And check bird sightings on eremea.com - AUS observation database, although some sites are too broad (all national park as one site).

What else? Local people seem incredibly aware of who is around. I thrice driven a car to complete nowhere, only to have a farmer/park ranger/local appear out of nowhere and friendly ask what I am doing. I haven't passed any house or anything they could see my car. Telepathy?

Once it was rather embarassing, because I went spotlighting and especially picked area where I thought I disturb nobody and nobody disturbs me. Then some farmer apparently got out of bed to help me in case my car broke down. Can somebody explain me how Australians manage to keep an eye on the bush in Coolmunda area? I still didn't figure it out.

Last edited:
The problems of rental serve to illustrate why buying a vehicle is a good option IMHO.

On the way back from Georgetown with another birder several years back, we'd left it late and roos were everywhere on the sides of the road. Despite driving slowly, the driver still hit an Agile Wallaby. The modest dent in the bumper cost him about A$5,000 up front until the repair was done. He got most of it back but it was still an expensive trip!

It goes without saying that driving in the outback and remote areas at dusk or nighttime is something you should not do. The chances of hitting something are very high.

About road maps and Pizzey and Knight bird guide - they seemed impossible to very expensive to get in Europe, but in Brisbane I went to a bigger bookshop and they had lots, and I saw them later also in the airport bookshop. So I suggest renting some birdguide in your place for preparation, but buy the real stuff in AU.

Pizzey & Knight is a lot cheaper and more readily available in Europe now than it used to be I believe and it's easily the best Australian field guide in my opinion. I managed to pick up the latest edition in Brisbane this summer for $25, an absolute bargain. In fact it was about the only cheap thing I bought in Australia (besides petrol). As Chowchilla mentioned, Australia is very expensive and has become increasingly pricey on every visit I've made there since 1998. It'll be bread and water only for me on my next trip I think.

You could easily and leisurely do the Sydney-Brisbane-Cairns-Alice Springs-Adelaide-Melbourne-Sydney route in 3 months. I birded this same same route in one month. You can fly up to Iron Mtn NP in Cape York and also fly into Tas. I would also do the Top End (Darwin-Kakadoo NP area). West Australia around Perth-Albany is great as well (but a long ways from anywhere might want to fly into Perth). Another option would be to drive a circular route around the entire country along the coasts. Id say in general Oct-Nov is best time of year for all Australia (with possible exception of the desert interior when June-August is best- ie. cooler). If you rent just remember to try and not drive at night outside of cities as some rental contracts do not allow this (high collision risk with roos, cattle and camels). Also do not underestimate costs in Australia (think about 70-100% more then the UK or 200-300% times more then US) I went to some areas were a SINGLE banana was 7 dollars!!

We have to abandon our plans to visit the top end in January as its monsoon time and itineraries can be shot to pieces so are looking for an alternative area to spend 6 days or so. You mention "Perth-Albany is great" - can you recommend some excellent sites in that area for birds/wildlife generally ? Would it justify a circular 6-7 day tour between those cities ?

Anywhere else better in January ? (we are already spending a week down near Melbourne).

thanks
Tony

Last edited:
Tony -

Is Kangaroo Is. on you itinerary already? We spent some time (two days plus a bit) there in December - fabulous place! Almost the only place we saw Koalas, and they were easy to find - we just drove across the island, and turn right at the hand-painted sign that said "Koalas!"

We found them around a billabong called (informally, I'm sure) "Duck Lagoon", but god knows if I would ever be able to find it again. It turned out to be one of the most serendipitous finds of the whole trip - besides the mammals, we also got 10 life birds at "Duck Lagoon" in a single morning (out of a total of 23 on Kangaroo Is. overall).

Tony -

Is Kangaroo Is. on you itinerary already? We spent some time (two days plus a bit) there in December - fabulous place! Almost the only place we saw Koalas, and they were easy to find - we just drove across the island, and turn right at the hand-painted sign that said "Koalas!"

We found them around a billabong called (informally, I'm sure) "Duck Lagoon", but god knows if I would ever be able to find it again. It turned out to be one of the most serendipitous finds of the whole trip - besides the mammals, we also got 10 life birds at "Duck Lagoon" in a single morning (out of a total of 23 on Kangaroo Is. overall).

Peter, it's not but sounds like it perhaps should be !

. You mention "Perth-Albany is great" - can you recommend some excellent sites in that area for birds/wildlife generally ? Would it justify a circular 6-7 day tour between those cities ?
thanks
Tony

these 4 posts have lots on a SW corner road trip (more stuff on previous and subsequent posts on same thread.)

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1607226&postcount=723
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1613077&postcount=730
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1616062&postcount=735
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1622118&postcount=741

It's a bit of a hassle taking a ferry, but birds there (even by the extremely high Australian standards) were plentiful and very confiding .... watch out for the Emus, they'll try to steal your lunch! I don't know about the seasonality of Cape Barren Goose, which was one of the big draws for me, but they were plentiful at the beginning of December - and Little Penguin should be doable, without having go pay to see a "parade".

Duck Lagoon really did have quite a selection of ducks - Australian Shelduck, Chestnut Teal, Musk Duck, and Australian Shoveller, plus Yellow-billed Spoonbill, Hoary-headed Grebe, and the Hobby. Good passerines too, including Superb Fairy-wren and Red Wattlebird.

And the Remarkable Rocks really are!

Thanks Larry. My wife is a non birder but loves scenery and wildlife generally so we were wondering if the area ticks those boxes too or whether it would be a bit too similar to the Melbourne area given on the same lattitude (or is it longitude?!!).

Thanks Larry. My wife is a non birder but loves scenery and wildlife generally so we were wondering if the area ticks those boxes too or whether it would be a bit too similar to the Melbourne area given on the same lattitude (or is it longitude?!!).

fairly similar, but the extremely tall and very impressive eucalypts are a must. And for us seeing Numbat and close inshore Southern Wright WWhales were special non-birding highlights. I think the coast's prettier too perhaps, but that's subjective.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back