• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandpiper Identification - Michigan (1 Viewer)

Rapala

I observed these few birds yesterday at a wildlife flooding here in the UP. I have a pretty good idea of what I think they are, but I'm not much at identifying sandpipers and could use some assistance. The first three photos are of the same bird. The final photos are of a pair of distant sandpipers. While observing through a spotting scope, it was obvious that one of the sandpipers was larger than the other. The fourth photo is of this larger bird, the fifth shows the pair, and the sixth is of the smaller sandpiper. Any identification points or analysis of these birds would greatly help me out. Thanks

Attachments

• SAND1.jpg
    SAND1.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 85
  • SAND2.jpg
    SAND2.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 59
  • SAND3.jpg
    SAND3.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 50
  • SAND4.jpg
    SAND4.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 86
  • SAND5.jpg
    SAND5.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 98
I would lean towards Lesser Yellowlegs in the first three images, with Greater in pic 4, one each of Greater and Lesser in pic 5, and one Lesser in pic 6. All other birds are Blue-winged Teal.

Thank you for the responses. I forgot to mention that the rightmost bird in photo 5 is a Blue-Winged Teal, it was with a male shortly prior. I had been thinking Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs before posting this inquiry, the only other possibility in my mind being Solitary Sandpiper. Out of curiosity, what distinguishes the Lesser in my photos from Solitary Sandpiper? I have little experience with either species, so any ID tips would be a great help. Thank you all very much!

Its always difficult from just a photo but I am feeling pretty confident by the bill size and bulkiness of the bird that 1 and 2 are greater yellowlegs, assuming 3 is the same bird. Perhaps better left as yellowlegs sp, but i am not seeing lesser jump at me. 4 definitely greater and 5 gives the impression of both greater and lesser. As for solitary they have feet that barely trail beyond the tail, in pic 3 you can see an all white rump , solitary has dark central tail feathers with only white on outter tail feathers , and the demarcation of streaking on the breast is not defined well enough for solitary and extends down the flanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. There seems to be conflicting opinions over the first three photos, whether it is a Greater or Lesser Yellowlegs, or if it can be definitively identified at all. Any other input on these photos?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back