• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuerteventura Chat - site info wanted (1 Viewer)

Allen

Hi, I have a family holiday at the end of July on Fuerteventura so wanted to look for Fuerteventura Chat while I am there. Limited time obviously with the family in tow so does anyone have info on best reliable sites?
Also Houbara Bustard but not as key as saw these on Lanzarote. Thanks in advance.

The dam at Los Molinos and the Dwarf Bittern site at Barracone Rio del Cabras were both productive at Easter

If you are staying in Corralejo the nearest site is the Hotel Canina (kennels) at La Oliva.

Courser and Bustard are supposed to be around El Cotillo, I only saw Courser and found the bustard easier on Lanzarote.

Los Molinos has Ruddy Shelduck and Black-bellied Sandgrouse.

If staying in Caleta the you’re are no too far from the Barranco del Cabras and there are really tame trumpeter finches on the headland to the north of the resort. To the south near Salinas del Carmen is the Barranco del Torre which is supposed to have the chat ( not for me) and does have Gran Canaria Giant Lizard and Egyptian Vultures. Just watch out for the human “detritus” left by campers in the tamarisks at the mouth of the barranco.

David

You can probably do best by looking at places in observado at the start of your visit and checking 2-3 closest to your hotel.

Best site I have found for the Chat is the coastal (east) end of Barranco de Rio Cabras (Dwarf Bittern site further up this barranco). There is a turning off the main road near the airport with a dirt track leading off this (passable but bumpy). Drive down to end of this near to the airport runway lights and you can park up and walk through some tunnels under the main road into the barranco. The few hundred metres after the tunnels have always had a good few chats on every visit - usually perched on or flitting back and forth across the bushes. This area and the rock faces a little further on are good for Trumpeter finch.

You can walk the full barranco up to the Dwarf Bittern site but is a reasonably long walk. Well worth it though as lovely scenery with a good variety of birds. I have however only done this at various times throughout winter and spring so not sure what it would be like in the middle of summer. Further up the barranco usually yields Egyptian Vulture and Buzzard, plus if there is any water left running through you get Little Ringed Plover, Green Sandpiper and Ruddy Shelduck (BW Stilt usually around the dams with the Dwarf Bittern). Good chance of many other birds and also dragonflies etc.

Tindaya plains is the best area I've found for Bustard and Courser but need a car to view from.

Where precisely is the DB site as I realise the Barranco covers quite an area? Thanks

If you look on google maps in satellite and follow the barranco up from the airport coast side. A little ways along is the first dam with a bit of vegetation behind it. Carry on up and it turns to steep cliffs on both sides. After this there are two dams close together with water shown behind the first one and more vegetation. They are directly below a large white building with a dark area of land. The Bittern usually hangs around these two from the bottom dam up to the vegetation above the top one. Be aware though that there is more vegetation than it looks like from the map and the bird can be very elusive within it.

You can walk up the barranco to the area - lovely walk but much harder to see the bird from inside when you get there and it does spook easily at times. Best way is to drive down to near where that building is and view from the top of the cliff as you can look down in to the bushes along the way with much better chances of spotting it. The road is private though with a barrier so have to watch that you don't get locked in. Alternatively you can park on the road above the building and walk down.

Hope that helps,
Karl

On Xmas day 25th Dec. a much warmer, still day and using the coordinates on my phone, I did some reconnaissance of the Barranco de Rio Cabras area, and wished that I had been in possession of these last year, as that attempt was one Big Debilitating Dip!!! (parking by the FV2 then walking the length of the Barranco....never again!). Lets hope this attempt for the Dwarf Bittern (if coming to fruition) would represent one ''Helluva Chrissy Present). For those who like me have found the directions a little vague, an attempt to clarify - Take the FV2 going North past the airport, then take the road West FV20 signposted to Antigua, at the 2nd roundabout on the road take the last exit (white lettering out of grey) the Municipal Dump (the road is gravelly) after perhaps a mile, you will then see a whole bunch of No Entry signs on a sharp left hand bend, carry straight on left at the bend and eventually you will see the dump facility. Park at edge of road and head due South where you will hit the Barranco. Journey time from Caleta de Fuste to include the walk to the edge of the Barranco circa 35 mins.

Hope this helps Allen.:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back