Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Keela jackets

Old Thursday 11th July 2019, 08:52   #1
DocSarvis

Keela jackets

Im wondering if any of the Forum members from the U.K. can give me some input/ feedback on the Keela line of clothing, specifically the Lomond waterproof jacket for men and the Falkland Country Ventile jacket...again for men. Keela has no dealers in the USA but Amazon UK will ship to the states for a very reasonable fee. Both these jackets appear on first look to be an extremely good value for money especially the ventile item. The Lomond uses a breathable membrane and is around 75 whilst the ventile coat goes about 225 which I gather is rather a low price for genuine ventile.

Any input will be welcome before I make a blind purchase.

Many thanks!
Old Thursday 11th July 2019, 15:10   #2
rosbifs

I have keela ski pants which have been very good and very hard wearing.

When I bought them they supplied various mountain rescue outfits in Scotland, can’t say if that’s still the case but was a great recommendation at the time.

The key with clothing of this nature is the waterproof ness and the breathabilty. Goretex are the kings and others imitate. Waterproof ness needs to exceed 20k mm to really be waterproof....
Old Sunday 14th July 2019, 18:44   #3
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosbifs View Post
I have keela ski pants which have been very good and very hard wearing.

When I bought them they supplied various mountain rescue outfits in Scotland, cant say if thats still the case but was a great recommendation at the time.

The key with clothing of this nature is the waterproof ness and the breathabilty. Goretex are the kings and others imitate. Waterproof ness needs to exceed 20k mm to really be waterproof....
Gortex is the one everyone presumes is king. Event fabric more highly rated by many people but Gortex won't allow manufacturers that event to also use Gortex and it's Gortex that people know. I'm not actually sure what Keela use but the bloke in the shop I bought it from - which also sold lots of Gortex stuff - claimed it was a considerable improvement on Gortex.

https://norwaygeographical.com/gore-tex-alternatives/

I have a Keela jacket. They are very highly rated. It's great in the rain but I find it slightly on the heavy and warm side for serious mountain walking, which is what I bought it for. I do wear it for birding some times but i generally avoid birding in the rain.

I use a pertex shield jacket as my main rain jacket as it very light weight.

@SteveBabbs
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: