• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adonis Blue? (1 Viewer)

Andrew S

Kentish Mother
I think this is an Adonis Blue, but I had a worry that it might just be a Common Blue. Must get myself a good butterfly book - any recommendations? Should ideally cover France and Spain too...

Photographed at Mill Hill, East Sussex, early September (and also got my first Chalkhill Blue and Clouded Yellow there that day).

Thanks

Andrew

Attachments

• Blue (2); Mill Hill; 05.09.04.jpg
    Blue (2); Mill Hill; 05.09.04.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 163
  • Blue; Mill Hill; 05.09.04.jpg
    Blue; Mill Hill; 05.09.04.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 166
Yes definitely Adonis Blue

Collins' Field Guide Butterflies, Britain and Europe by Tom Tolman and Richard Lewington: ISBN 0-00-718991-5 (haven't got a link at the mo but should be available from Amazon.com which is where I got mine)

Andrew S said:
Phew, that's a relief!

Thanks, guys - will look out the book - have a birthday coming up...

RSNC Guide to Butterflies of the British Isles. J A Thomas.

Not sure if this is still in print, but it is worth looking out. A slim paperback, but treats all the species at all likely to be seen in the UK and Ireland in considerable detail.

The Collins is, of course, excellent, but do you really need hundreds of Caucasian species that are practically indistinguishable?

David FG said:
The Collins is, of course, excellent, but do you really need hundreds of Caucasian species that are practically indistinguishable?

Andrew did ask for France and Spain, too - is there perhaps, a good book for Western Europe?

Adey Baker said:
Andrew did ask for France and Spain, too - is there perhaps, a good book for Western Europe?

Hello Adey,
There is a small (pocket sized) book entitled a Photographic Guide to the Butterflies of Britain and Europe, by Paul Sterry 2001. Published by New Holland Publishers, London. Actually it also covers a few Moth species as well. It does cover 195 of the butterfly species you are likely to meet with in western Europe.

I don't know what the price is (just a bar code on my copy) I bought it on Ebay a couple of weeks ago for under £2.00.

You could check out Ebay or abebooks.com or bookfinder.com to try and locate a copy.

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back