• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scotland holiday next year-any suggestions? (1 Viewer)

And in addition to Ben Nevis's excellent suggestions, don't miss Montrose Basin for waders, ducks and a whole lot more. I have some info on my web site on north east birding, and hope to add more shortly. (when I'm not too busy chasing autumn migrants)

Hi Ken

I agree with you :t:

Montrose Basin is fantastic at this time of the year. Used to live closeby there.

Also the history of how the Basin came to be is interesting too, and yes it has tides every day. This gives you great chance to all waterfowl of all types.

The SWT has a centre there and it has a great view for bird watching over the Basin. It has a Sandmartin embankment too - not the right time of year for them though. Lots of videos of all the activity etc....

Birding on the Scottish East Coast is well worth it at Abb's Head, John Muir Country Park, Aberlady Bay etc.. as my link shows in post #4 on this thread.

All well worth a visit too :-O

Regards
Kathy

thank you

My thanks to all who have responded to this.
I have never used the 'OPUS' section-thanks for that pointer, it's really useful.
On a general note-
1.We want to visit the Farne Islands-will it also be worth going to Handa i.e. it will take some time to get there-is it much different to the Farnes?
2. While we are so far up there we thought we would visit John O' Groats. It looks (from the map) to be a long wayout from anywhere-is it worth it?

Handa: Red Throated Diver, Tysties, Skuas...don't think they're on the Farnes? (now someone's bound to prove me wrong). It's really one of those 'magical places'

Whatever you do, David, you're going to miss something and will want to come back.

John o'Groats... good breeding cliffs there, but you'd get much the same further south, so the reason for going is really to say you've been;). However, the views across to Orkney are special. See the Caithness Birding thread too.

D

My thanks to all who have responded to this.
I have never used the 'OPUS' section-thanks for that pointer, it's really useful.
On a general note-
1.We want to visit the Farne Islands-will it also be worth going to Handa i.e. it will take some time to get there-is it much different to the Farnes?
2. While we are so far up there we thought we would visit John O' Groats. It looks (from the map) to be a long wayout from anywhere-is it worth it?

You get dive bombed by great and arctic skuas instead of arctic terns - much more macho;)

You really are a glutton for punishment if you now want to extend to JOG as well. The best areas of the Loch of Mey, St John's Loch, Dunnet Bay and Dunnet Head for the chances of rare migrants as well as the seabirds. Check the harbours for late white-winged gulls. JOG itself has nothing to recommend it - it's not even the most northerly point on the British mainland as it sometimes likes to pretend (Dunnet Head is).

Gordon

You get dive bombed by great and arctic skuas instead of arctic terns - much more macho;)
You really are a glutton for punishment if you now want to extend to JOG as well.
Gordon

1. I've been looking at the Handa related sites and it looks very good-will take that in.
2. JOG is (as delia says) just to say I have been there. However it doesn't look an easy place to get to from Handa-we may well give this a miss and concentrate on the Speyside area a bit more.
Thanks again for everyones help-it really is much appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back