• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cane sugar water versus beet sugar water (2 Viewers)

sparroweye

I had been watching for my first hummingbird. I finally saw one around March
15th. He just checked out the feeder and never came back. Then just recently saw another one and the same thing happened. Then I happened to be reading on this hummingbird site that there is a question about whether some
hummers perfer cane sugar water over beet. I looked at my bag of sugar and
realized it did not say cane. So, I have gotten some cane sugar and put up a new batch of sugar water. Does anyone know anything about this?

I agree, you've got me wondering as well and sure enough the last bag I bought does not say "cane". I just assumed all sugar that I buy was cane sugar. Hmmmm.

Use bottled SPRING water too .... the little hummers will love you for it. They certainly do prefer it over tap water.

BTW - my sugar is cane.

Had to go to the cupboard to have a look at my sugar - granulated and caster, both produced by Tate & Lyle, both cane sugar. Now every time I go to a supermarket I'll be inspecting the sugar packs - though I think round my way it's nearly all T&L.

Great site Bob - learned at lot. Also quilt relief when I leave my feeders up too long - h.birds won't drink bad water! Good tips on washing the feeders too!

LzyPhotographer said:
Use bottled SPRING water too .... the little hummers will love you for it. They certainly do prefer it over tap water.

BTW - my sugar is cane.

Let's hope it doesn't come out of a tap, like Coca Cola's latest enterprise over here - or perhaps you haven't heard about this?

Sugar

For what it is worth in the UK," Silver Spoon" sugar is beet-sugar,partly or all from UK production (lots of fields in UK grow beet,with very large processing plants,like Cantley,near Norwivh.
Tate and Lyle grow cane sugar in waemer climes...so there must be a difference to discerning hummingbirds !
"a drop of '03 perhaps" ?
Mervyn

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back