• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Short Eared Owls (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

I have just joined the forum after coming across a SEO thread although it wouldnt let me reply as it was 800 days old.

I have been trawling the internet for SEO locations close to home and I have been given some information over the winter of rumored sightings but it always turned into nothing so wish I had found this a bit sooner!

Having never been to Blueberry before I may go over for a little trip tomorrow for a walk although I dont expect to see any SEO's.

I dont want to go upsetting anybody so would really appreciate any advice on parking and what footpaths to use, I have created a map with different info I have found and attached it - would really appreciate it if somebody could advise if its correct.

Any help is much appreciated,

Regards

James

Attachments

• Blueberry Farm.jpg
    Blueberry Farm.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 128
Hi all,

I have just joined the forum after coming across a SEO thread although it wouldnt let me reply as it was 800 days old.

I have been trawling the internet for SEO locations close to home and I have been given some information over the winter of rumored sightings but it always turned into nothing so wish I had found this a bit sooner!

Having never been to Blueberry before I may go over for a little trip tomorrow for a walk although I dont expect to see any SEO's.

I dont want to go upsetting anybody so would really appreciate any advice on parking and what footpaths to use, I have created a map with different info I have found and attached it - would really appreciate it if somebody could advise if its correct.

Regards

James

Welcome to the forum. Threads generally do let you reply to them however old they are. It says something like "This thread is more than 800 days old" but if you still want to add to it you can click on a box and it lets you go ahead.

Hi, I can't really help you with your request as I've only been there once myself but on that occasion I parked in Hanging Houghton and walked form there. In truth it's been a rather poor winter for SEO in Northants this winter though Blueberry has had some sightings.

Eldernell in the Nene Washes near Peterborough has had regular sightings of multiple birds and I think that a few may still be showing. I don't know if this is a little further than you wanted to travel but it could be worth a try.

James.

Hi all,

Regards

James

Hi James, welcome to BF. There are several places to access and park around the farm complex. Blueberry Farm is accessed off the A508 from Maidwell village, coming from Northampton it's the first turning on the left. You can park near the barns and walk around the edges of the fields. The farmer and his family live in the houses there and are very nice people.

The second and better option is to drive through Hanging Houghton and follow the narrow road all the way down until you reach the Brampton Valley Way where you can park. I usually drive further on and park at the 'T' junction near the wood. You'll see obvious bridle paths and you can walk freely around the area but not in the fields please.

The chances of seeing Short-eared Owls now are extremely unlikely though you may see Barn Owls. I went to Eldernell Lane earlier this month and they'd gone from there too. Next winter will be your best bet and I'd recommend you follow this blog written by a couple who live in the village for regular sighting there and other sites in the county. If you click on Site Maps 1st Jan at the top you can see the field names and footpaths marked.

Good luck

http://northamptonshirebirding.blogspot.co.uk

Hi, I can't really help you with your request as I've only been there once myself but on that occasion I parked in Hanging Houghton and walked form there. In truth it's been a rather poor winter for SEO in Northants this winter though Blueberry has had some sightings.

Eldernell in the Nene Washes near Peterborough has had regular sightings of multiple birds and I think that a few may still be showing. I don't know if this is a little further than you wanted to travel but it could be worth a try.

James.

Hi James, thanks for that info - another place to check out next winter, much appreciated!:t:

Hi James, welcome to BF. There are several places to access and park around the farm complex. Blueberry Farm is accessed off the A508 from Maidwell village, coming from Northampton it's the first turning on the left. You can park near the barns and walk around the edges of the fields. The farmer and his family live in the houses there and are very nice people.

The second and better option is to drive through Hanging Houghton and follow the narrow road all the way down until you reach the Brampton Valley Way where you can park. I usually drive further on and park at the 'T' junction near the wood. You'll see obvious bridle paths and you can walk freely around the area but not in the fields please.

The chances of seeing Short-eared Owls now are extremely unlikely though you may see Barn Owls. I went to Eldernell Lane earlier this month and they'd gone from there too. Next winter will be your best bet and I'd recommend you follow this blog written by a couple who live in the village for regular sighting there and other sites in the county. If you click on Site Maps 1st Jan at the top you can see the field names and footpaths marked.

Good luck

http://northamptonshirebirding.blogspot.co.uk

Thanks Dave, exactley the info I was looking for! Really appreciate it - I never went today, instead going to RSPB Sandy in the rain!

Thanks again:t:

Thanks Dave, exactley the info I was looking for! Really appreciate it - I never went today, instead going to RSPB Sandy in the rain!

Thanks again:t:

You didn't miss anything, even the Pheasants were keeping their heads down in the wind and rain!

It might be worth noting that the influx of SEO's in 2011-12 was the best on record and attracted birders and photographers from miles around. If you keep an eye on Neil's blog you can decide whether to visit next winter. Cold, still days following wet and windy days give the best chance of success.

You didn't miss anything, even the Pheasants were keeping their heads down in the wind and rain!

It might be worth noting that the influx of SEO's in 2011-12 was the best on record and attracted birders and photographers from miles around. If you keep an eye on Neil's blog you can decide whether to visit next winter. Cold, still days following wet and windy days give the best chance of success.

Ha ha, yes it was very bleak over sandy, rain driving in my face whilst sat in the hide - still got a few nice shots and beats being sat in front of the TV.

Thanks for the info, will keep an eye on neils blog - will definitely have the odd visit in the winter, would be nice just to get a chance to photograph the barn owls in flight :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back