• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paramo Pajaro 2018 v Halcon v RSPB Avocet (1 Viewer)

Taxboy

Considering both of these as a new birding / photography jacket and looking for some real world input on the differences please. Essentially is the Halcon worth the extra ? Or should I consider the Avocet as an alternative?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Pajaro is very good but f I had to replace it with Paramo I'd go for the Halcon. Hand warmer pockets make a big difference. Zips on Paramo aren't the best. Not familiar with the Avocet but looks good on paper.

Alan

The Paramos have some insulation whereas the RSPB Avocet is a top layer that is wind and waterproof. Both rely on a layer system to keep you warm. I've personally never had an issue on any zips on my Paramo gear from base, mid, fleece and top layers. Both brands do the job

Pajaro is very good but f I had to replace it with Paramo I'd go for the Halcon. Hand warmer pockets make a big difference. Zips on Paramo aren't the best. Not familiar with the Avocet but looks good on paper.

Alan
Thanks for that - so effectively a Halcon is just a tweaked Pajaro ?

The Paramos have some insulation whereas the RSPB Avocet is a top layer that is wind and waterproof. Both rely on a layer system to keep you warm. I've personally never had an issue on any zips on my Paramo gear from base, mid, fleece and top layers. Both brands do the job
Many thanks - Do you have a recommendation for which of the Paramo range I should go for.

I also looked at the Country Innovation Linnet but this is now discontinued and the replacement seems a very heavy jacket

Many thanks - Do you have a recommendation for which of the Paramo range I should go for.

I also looked at the Country Innovation Linnet but this is now discontinued and the replacement seems a very heavy jacket

Yes, for casual or extreme birding I use Paramo including the warm trousers, Cascada ( Moss ) or Velez.. The Halcon is designed with birders in mind, hence the move several years ago to more subdued natural colours (Moss ), extra pockets and hand warmers. Just needs the occasional wash and proofing with Nikwax.
P

Last edited:
Yes, for casual or extreme birding I use Paramo including the warm trousers, Cascada ( Moss ) or Velez.. The Halcon is designed with birders in mind, hence the move several years ago to more subdued natural colours (Moss ), extra pockets and hand warmers. Just needs the occasional wash and proofing with Nikwax.
P
Many thanks - seems I will be searching down the back of the sofa for the extra loose change for a Halcon 😄

I have a Pajaro, my mate has the Halcon. Got to be honest other than a bit of fleece around the collar and the handwarmers I cant see much difference and I personally wouldn't be swayed to pay the extra just for these features. Each to his/her own but for me the Pajaro is a cracking jacket that does 100% of what I want it to.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back