• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

goyt valley nr buxton (1 Viewer)

Not quite the goyt valley but decieded to try for the waxwings that have been seen in buxton today ,with no luck but did see this in the pavillion gardens ,not sure where its come from

Attachments

• pavillion gardens.JPG
    pavillion gardens.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 52
Not quite the goyt valley but decieded to try for the waxwings that have been seen in buxton today ,with no luck but did see this in the pavillion gardens ,not sure where its come from

Hi Peter,

I think this could be the same Brent that was at Combs Reservoir in Oct 2012 & then seen at Taxal in Nov 2012 ?

Finaly the sandpipers are back on errwood saw at least 3 mybe 4 today also a goosander and a redstart was also seen but not by me ,not quite spring yet as it was only 3 degrees up there this morning ;)

First long walk in the valley for some time ,still very cold early on but i saw my 1st pied flycatcher of the year in the lower valley 2 in fact 1 male and 1 female The lower valley was uneventfull a buzzard was the only other bird of note Up at errwood saw 3 more pied flys at least 4 common sandpipers 3 redstarts 2 treecreepers 2 more buzzards a greater spotted woodpecker and a couple of willow warblers Things are starting to come in still no wood warblers or spotted flys or cuckoos fingers crossed :-O

Attachments

• piedfly 2013.JPG
    piedfly 2013.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 47
  • redstart 2013.JPG
    redstart 2013.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 59
Garden Warbler singing in the garden this morning. Sadly the House Martins havn't appeared this year. Cuckoo not heard yet

Cuckoo heard and seen by errwood res yesterday also a couple of tree pipets and common sands on fernilee as well as errwood ,red starts and pied flys above the res ,cuckoo also heard somewere near 3 shires head

Attachments

• sandpiper 7th may.JPG
    sandpiper 7th may.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 38
The swifts are finaly back in whaley bridge with a small party flying over market street this morning ,also dipper on the goyt below the white hart tuesday

After yesterdays sunny day i thought i will have a walk in the valley ,well back to cold morning common sand on fernilee res and 3 red deer The spotted flycatchers are back in the valley saw 1 just below errwood dam along with a redstart and a tree pipet 3 more treepipets heard but not seen ,met 2 guys who had seen another spotted fly on the road above errwood also pied flys and redstarts Two cuckoos heard higher up the road and a pair of greywagtails near derbyshire bridge ,the curlews were very vocal on the track to burbage

Attachments

• curlew  june 5.JPG
    curlew june 5.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 35
Out in the valley again today and saw a valley 1st for me a male mandarin near the metal bridge at errwood ,plenty of tree pipets around as well as redstarts and a couple of pied flys and greater spotted woodpeckers also saw a chick peeping out of a nest hole as springwatch The birds are not quite as showy now and the trees are full of leafs ,making the birds harder to see ,lots of curlews and meadow pipets on the walk from derbyshire bridge to burbage

Attachments

• mandarin goyt.JPG
    mandarin goyt.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 49
A bit of a change today caught the bus to buxton then bus to cat and fiddle ,then walked back via burbage edge ,berry clough ,and errwood and fernilee res before following the valley home As previous walk plenty of meadow pipets and curlews on the moors a couple of red grouse 1 stonechat only heard ,a famliy of grey wagtails were by the stream at derbyshire bridge carpark T he riverside walk held treecreepers and coal tits and nearer the res redstarts showed well ,1 pied flycatcher ,common sandpipers were calling and flying about 1 even landed in a big tree 20ft up i dont see to often Lower valley nothing much apart from a group of nuthatches and some chiffchaffs that i heard but could not see ,a few orcids starting to show and a smatering of white butterflys also what i think was a four spot chaser

Attachments

• four spot i think.JPG
    four spot i think.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 31
Thanks dave have seen 2 males as well ,another valley 1st for me 2 common terns passing through errwood ,birds a bit thin on the ground but still plenty of curlews and a couple of greater spotted woodpeckers on the feeders at the top end of the res on the long hill side

Attachments

• gswoody.JPG
    gswoody.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 26
Plenty of butterflys about in valley yestrday only had a short walk dropped the car at fernilee res and walked down the valley to hillbridge ,plenty on speckled woods ,meadow browns ,small coppers , green veined whites ,gatekeepers ,peacocks, 2 commas,and a skipper

Attachments

• comma goyt valley.JPG
    comma goyt valley.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 35
There are a few bramblings in with the chaffinch flocks at the bottom of the street car park a bit flighty but coming down to feed on fallen beech mast

Attachments

• bramblings  goyt.JPG
    bramblings goyt.JPG
    216.6 KB · Views: 38
Few birds heard on walk along the path to Hoo Moor/Fernilee. Sad to see thousands of trees have been chopped down and lots of tall stacks of timber logs line the path along the way. Worrying for the thousands of birds which may have lived there. But joy to see four red deer crossing our path.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back