• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

goyt valley nr buxton (1 Viewer)

With the promise of a lovely day, I thought I'd do one of my long walks. setting off from Combs Res at 7am I started the day off by seeing 2 greater spotted woodpeckers, 1 was drumming. Leaving the peckers behind I set off by the side of the res and saw a couple of Greater Crested Grebes and a hundred or so Canada Geese. Nothing much else on the reservoir apart from a few mallards and a couple of coots. The climb out of Combs village saw the visibility deteriorating. By the time I reached the higher ground the mist was making it difficult to see the meadow pipits that were calling. As I approached the roman road I could hear the calls of the curlews and l;ater saw them feeding in one of the boggy fields I crossed. These were also joined by a flock of lapwings. Just before reaching Errwood dam a carrion crow was seen mobbing a buzzard. The walk along the road turned up a couple of Mistle thrushes and a couple of fly over ravens. Also I spotted a grey wagtail. Much further up the valley, I stopped for a coffee and met a guy who was feeding the birds by putting out peanuts and seeds on a tree stump. I captured nuthatches,coal tit and blue tit after he'd gone (with my camera). Progressing farther on I was pleased to see 2 dippers on the infant Goyt. Then it was up and over the tops to Buxton via Burbage edge, the only distraction being a few red grouse. A look round the Pavillion Gardens threw up the usual tufted ducks but nothing of note.

Attachments

• nuthatch1.jpg
    nuthatch1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 61
Went out for a shorter walk yesterday from errwood down the valley to home set off from errwood at 10 past 6 tawny owl calling from the woods near the boat club <hear but not seen > light fading fast along fernilee res dropping down for this dam hear another tawny and latter saw it high in a tree its call was answered by another that i did not see a few 100yrds furher on my attention was drawn to a noise in the sky and there was my first valley woodcock of 2009 after that it got to dark to see much could still hear the odd song thrush Just got back from a strool in whaley bridge park no birds of intrest but a bat was flying about in the sunshine by the river B :)

out again today this time a bit warmer 4 or 5 grebes cruising on coombs and a number of song thrushes in full song a couple of fly over herons the usual lapwings and coal long great and blue tits ,walking out of coombs i saw 2 greater spotted woodpeckers and just before the high ground 2 buzzards soaring in the sunshine An odd looking bird decending into the reeds gave its id away by the long beak my first snipe this year on the hills <they are a common bird on the resses in winter but much harder to see away from water >,a couple of wagtails on errwood dam pied and grey the top end produced a nuthatch and another G S woodpecker ,oh forgot to metion the meadow pipets curlews and skylarks of witch there were quite a few An odd looking buzzard was quartring the top end of the valley <maybee just a pale common but it did not act like one flying low over the ground landing on the ground landed in a tree for 3 or 4 minutes this might no seem strange but the buuzzards i have seen in the valley do not do this they fly high and dont very often land > over the moors the normal red grouse and more pipets no sign of warblers yet or swallows cant be that long now ps also saw a peregrine on the walk not saying were also been told of an attack on a peregrine nest imfo a bit sketchy:C

Goyt Valley

Hi All,
Spent a few hours walking the upper valley this morning. Fairly quiet but nice views of a Golden Plover, my first Swallow of the year, lods of Mipits, Grouse etc. Then on to the Danebower area where i had Peregrine, Wheatear and Ring Ouzel.

Jason

Glad you had a good day in the upper valley sould not be long till the flycatchers arrive now <19 april 2007 23rd april 2008 > wont be walking the valley for a while as im going to try for the shrike at cutthroat bridge friday and have got a norfolk trip planned good luck to anyone watching in the valley area and can they make there results know here ta :t:

Had a couple of hours at the upper end of the valley last night. Wonderful views of SEO hunting and being mobbed by Curlew (and I'd not taken my camera). Good numbers of very visible Grouse on the moors, with many Meadow Pipits. No sign of the Ring Ouzels in the quarry, but Wheatear and many Meadow Pipits present (did have RO there on Saturday evening).

Phil

Visited here today heading south on the path east of the Errwood Reservoir. Didn't get too far (the wife is recovering from a cold and wasn't up for a long walk) so settled down at a nice spot where there's a bench and someone has hung a load of bird feeders from a nearby tree. Got to see an army of Chaffinches, Great, Blue and Coal Tits, a Grey Wagtail and a Reed Bunting all stopping by to feed. There was a single Grebe out on the reservoir along with a bunch of Mallards, Canada Geese and a few Curlews. Also a Willow Warbler (I think didn't stay still for quite long enough to be 100% on that one) on the way back to the car. Also caught a picture of this chap below.

Attachments

• IMGP1193.jpg
    IMGP1193.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 52
Another walk in the valley but this time in the lower valley from whaley bridge up nice morning frosty start but the sun warmed up the air and all thoughts of cold were forgoten when i saw my first pied fly catcher of the year a stunning male later i saw this one

Attachments

• female pied fly.jpg
    female pied fly.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 61
Nice to see the Pied Flycatchers back, no Redstart/Tree Pipit yet I take it? Had a Redstart near me yesterday, so any time soon Peter.

Ater spending sunday at leighton moss in the sunshine and seeing my first osprey of the year its back down to earth with a bump , got a lift to buxton and walk over burbage moors with rain threatening got derbyshire bridge to meet the first showers then it got harder for the next few hours plenty of meadow pipets on the moors but red grouse only heard .The tree pipets are back saw 3 just before errwood displaying also the common sandpipers are back there were 3 at the top end of the res and about 4 or so on fernilee <its hard to tell as keep flying of and then back >2 male 1 female pied flycatcher above the res and 4 male 2 female below fernilee res 1 suspected redstart but could not be definet < the swallows are back as with most places > also saw 2 house martins a sparrow hawk just below errwood dam but no kestrals Did not see a dipper till was nearly home, snap of tree pipet in the fading light

Attachments

• treepipet 2.jpg
    treepipet 2.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 62
Out in the valley again today ,would have liked to do the ranger led walk but was short of time so walked up the valley from home cuckoo heard in taxel very breifly sandpipers on fernilee and errwood met up with the walk they had seen pied flycatchers a redstart but had also heard a grasshopper warbler ,heard another cuckoo somewhere near errwood hall, blackcap and curlews willow warblers and a couple of jays also seen One of the sandpipers running along the bank of fernilee

Attachments

• sandpiper   5.jpg
    sandpiper 5.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 56
Had another longish walk in the valley today ,from home <whaley bridge> within the first mile i had seen kingfisher and dipper ticked off buzzard and blackcap in the second mile ,then swifts and swallows near fernilee dam grey wagtail and mistle thrush were seen near errwood dam pied flycatcher tree creeper and tree pipet were seen above errwood <cuckoo heard this time much farther up the valley> On the way back caught up with a curlew and another pied fly then went through hillbridge wood the bluebells there :t: are looking good at the moment

Attachments

• bluebells.jpg
    bluebells.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 56
Out walking yesterday from home to about a mile past errwood , much better day than of late finaly saw redstarts 3 of them by the side of fernilee res 3 or 4 pied flycatchers in the woods above errwood more tree pipets and common sandpipers ,still not managed a spotted fly catcher in the valley but saw one today at the top end of todbrook res in whaley bridge a slightly better snap of a tree pipet in the sun

Attachments

• treepipet 5.jpg
    treepipet 5.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 61
Out in the valley again today almost the same birds seen as yesterday but did manage to hear the grasshopper warbler and to see a common lizard whitch are not that common in the valley it had lost its tail the tail was about 4feet away and still wriggleing

Attachments

• lizard.jpg
    lizard.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 63
Out again this morning from home to try and get a snap of the spotted fly catcher at the top end of todbrook res in the wind and rain i think i got one could not see it very well against the dark sky so i think this is a spotted fly not 100%

Attachments

• spotted fly 6.jpg
    spotted fly 6.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 55
We visited for the first time on thursday and had some lovely weather. We walked from Whaley Bridge station to Buxton station from late morning til about 8pm and saw:

Redstart - male between Whaley Bridge and Fernilee reservoir
Dipper - including juvenile
Kingfisher
Pied flycatcher - 5 mostly around Erwood reservoir
Siskin along river path
6 common sandpipers around the reservoir
Tawny owl heard calling at south end of Park Wood
Lots of nuthatches and treecreepers
Red grouse - 6
Grasshopper warbler - one at SK018728 in the evening
Curlew, linnet and stonechat on the moor

This area makes for a really beautiful and interesting walk as we saw 62 species in all.

you did really well to see 62 diffrent birds on your walk well past my best for that walk saw 38 myself today but it was a bit of a flyer walked from home and caught the 10.15 am bus form buxton back home still a great walk and managed to see a tawny owl at errwood a cuckoo above errwood in the pines <first one seen this year > also a goldcreast in buxton first one for a while managed a snap of the cuckoo on the top of a waving pine tree before it flew off

Attachments

• cuckoo 2009.jpg
    cuckoo 2009.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 63
Out this morning for a short walk across taxel moor and back by todbrook res super morning but nothing of note bird wise but i did see a couple of brown hares below the moor basking in the sunshine and 2 painted lady butterflys on the resevoir dam ps saw another spotted fly catcher fly above the goyt in whaley bridge just downstream from the white hart pub on market street <same place as last years > when i went to buy a paper :t:

Attachments

• hare.jpg
    hare.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 41
  • painted lady 2.jpg
    painted lady 2.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 60
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back