• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Northants (1 Viewer)

I went for an early morning wander around Brookfield Plantation with a view to avoiding the predicted rubbishy weather. On my first walk along the public footpaths I saw nothing at all of note and was wishing that I'd stayed in bed. A group of 4 Cormorants flying over were my first local ones this year and several small groups of Teal were flushed from the ponds.

Leaving the wood for a while I walked across to a flooded quarry, near Gretton village where a couple of Dabchicks were giving their bubbling trill call and a few Coots swam around the edges.

Returning to the plantation a large flock of finches had moved into the alders but they were all Goldies. I searched through several large mixed flocks but couldn't find anything different. A single Siskin flew over calling but the highlight of the day was an adult Peregrine. The bird circled over one of the rides, gaining height before heading off in the direction of the Welland Valley. I managed another brief view later as it flashed by putting the Carrion Crows on brown alert. Plenty of Kites and Buzzards about giving the day almost a Welsh feeling.

Non birding wise there were several small groups of Fallow Deer and the squirrels were very active. scampering around and chasing each other they seemed to be in every second tree.

James.

A morning walk around the patch produced nothing of note, I may have hit the later winter doldrums. One unpleasant experience did provoke the following rant.

Whilst wandering around in a vain attempt to find something interesting I had the misfortune to put my foot into something brown and smelly. I'm not talking about a bijou little pooplet either, it was more a faecal python type thing, the unsavoury fruits of some straining hound's labours. Why do some dog owners still fail to do the decent thing and pick up after Fido has parked his breakfast? It doesn't matter if you think that Poochykins is only doing something natural in a natural setting because nobody has had their day enriched by stepping in a dog Thora. Please clean up after your dog. Oh one final thing, if you've gone to the trouble to clean your dog's mess up why then tie the bag into the branches of a bush like the world's foulest Christmas decoration? I'm a tolerant fellow by nature but the behaviour of some people make me fume. There, I'm glad that I got that matter off my chest, I only wish getting the other matter off my boot had been so easy!

Before members of the Pooch Posse start sharpening their pitchforks and lighting their torches I want to point out that I was directing my remarks at the lazy few and not the responsible masses.

Off to Devon next weekend so hopefully the birds and my mood will improve!

James.

A bit of an anti-climax today as having spent the weekend watching Penduline Tits, Cirl Buntings and Dartford Warbler it was back to the patch where the pickings were altogether slimmer.

Although it was sunny the cool wind appeared to have had an effect on the birds, only Bullfinch, Blackbird and Robins were singing. Not too much to report though Treecreeper and Teal were good patch birds.

Spring continues to announce it's arrival though with more in the nature of a discrete cough rather than a Brian Blessed style bellow as I saw my first pussy willows on the Sallows. Hopefully the first migrants are winging their way northwards.

James.

Used my last days holiday to dodge work and decided to head over to Weldon. First stop was at the most northerly balancing pond where I found 13 Tufties, 12 Gadwall, 20 Mallard, 2 Greylags, Coot, Moorhen and Dabchick. This is a fairly modest haul by most standards but quite good for the Corby area. At the other pond there were several Coots and Moorhens as well as a singing Reed Bunting. Not much else of interest around the village though several pairs of Long-tailed Tits appeared to be prospecting for nest sites.

Popped into the patch on the way home where the highlight was a Kingfisher, it was a typically brief view as the bird sped past but still my first of the year. Several Green Woods were calling (weasel free as far as I could tell) and there was still a Grey Wagtail at the stream. 3 Teal bought my duck day total to 4 species which is pretty good going.

A lot of birds singing today but only the Reed Bunting was new, another sign of Spring was my first Coltsfoot flowers of the year. On the non birding side of the fence I saw Muntjac and had a chuckle when a Grey Squirrel fell out of a tree. Happily the hapless animal appeared to be unharmed and ran off possibly more out of embarrassment than fear.

James.

A bit of non birdy and non county stuff, I'm putting it here in case it's of interest to anyone living in the north of the county.

The Otters at Eyebrook Reservoir have been showing rather well of late and I was fortunate to finally catch up with one this morning. I watched a female fishing off the fishing lodge (rather aptly) and was treated to brief though close views of her successful hunt. Although many of the sightings have been from the private part of the res there have been quite a few in view from areas with public access. The bridge at the northern end of the res or the stretch of water to the south of the "island" may offer the best chances and an early morning visit would probably improve your odds of seeing one.

If you do decide to go good luck.

James.

Had a stroll around South Wood today and it turned out to be fairly dull. Not many passerines around though had my first singing Goldcrest of the year. Did manage to see four species of raptor and both species of commoner woodpecker were very active, at least four of each species were seen.

Found some Hazel catkins which were my first local ones but the most unusual thing I saw was a rabbit, they seem to be getting fairly scarce around these here parts!

James.

Nice to see that the Corby Waxwing was showing again today. It's a shame that work and other necessary but dull commitments mean I probably won't get to see it. Nice bird to find locally especially in a winter when they've been pretty darn scarce - I'm moderately jealous.

James.

Found some Hazel catkins which were my first local ones but the most unusual thing I saw was a rabbit, they seem to be getting fairly scarce around these here parts!

Maybe this is due to an increase in common Buzzards ??

Mark

Hi Mark, I hope it's down to Buzzard predation rather than some unpleasant disease though I guess it makes no difference to the rabbits!

James.

Was just looking at photographs of the Waxwing and am feeling somewhat gripped off, the images are stunning. Off to the Forest of Dean after work tomorrow so likely to miss out - hopefully see enough to dull the pain somewhat.

James.

Had a bit of a 'mare in the Forest of Dean yesterday when a knackered clutch cost a days birding and about 600 quid so I was glad to get out today. Mercifully today was a lot cheaper although the birds on the patch were a tad less interesting than those I might have seen.

Highlight was again Kingfisher, I'm hopeful they may be setting up a territory again. Nothing else too exciting, Grey Wagtails continue to hang around and Goldcrests have yet to move on. A lot of the larger gulls appear to have left the area though still lots of Black-headeds, most are now acquiring their hoods.

A few bumblebees buzzing around but not much else to suggest that Spring is here but should have the first Chiffy singing soon, can't wait.

James.

After an excellent day in the Brecks yesterday it was back down to earth with a stroll around the patch. Still no singing Chiffys but Linnets have returned, they're mostly summer visitors here. A Woodcock flushed from near the stream was a very late record, I thought they would be roding by now.

Most of the local birds appear to be paired up now as well as Grey Wagtails. I'm hoping they might stay on this year as they have on at least one occasion in the past. A pair of Marsh Tits foraging in some Sallows was a nice find, they tend to be quite scarce here except in winter.

Some visible migration in the form of some Meadow Pipits heading northwards.

James.

Finally got to hear my first Chiffchaff of the year somewhat later than usual. A bird was singing from the trees around the car park at work. I know I'm going to hear lots more in the next few weeks but I do like to get the first one out of the way.

A few Meadow Pipits were also passing through.

James.

A damp and dismal morning, one for diehards and dimwits but thankfully I fit into both categories. Stayed local today with a saunter around Weldon and a quick turn around the patch.

At the A43 pond a pair of Mute Swans have set up home, the female was sitting on the nest making constant adjustments while her partner sailed around menacing the Greylags. Of these there were 7 and there were also 14 Tufties, 5 Gadwall, a few Mallards, Coots and Dabchick. On to the next pond where 7 Gadwall, more Coots and Moorhens made up the roster. Two Reed Buntings were singing in the rain as well as 3 Chiffchaffs and it seemed as if the soggy conditions had no effect on the birdsong, I heard encouraging numbers of both Song Thrush and Bullfinch.

Popped into the patch on the way home where 2 more Chiffchaffs were in song, I think that itch has been well and truly scratched. A pair of Greylags were new for the patch year list while 3 Teal were still hanging about. Best of all though was Kingfisher, I had several views and hears of them and now have a reasonable idea of where they may be nesting - fingers crossed!

Saw my first Violets of the year and a nice carpet of Lesser Celandines near the church in the Village.

James.

Walking through some fields with the dog in Kings heath heading towards the firs I saw....
great spotted woodpecked. About 5 pheasants, kestrel being bomb by heron gulls 1 monkjack.

Hi Cobbler, it's nice to see some sightings from elsewhere in the county if only to escape the drivel that I'm contributing for the mo. Keep up with the posts, it may help to make this thread seem less like a blog.

Nice weather this morning and I had another walk around the patch but it was dull, dull and dull. Two Chiffys still singing and that was about it apart from a lovely Sum plum Grey Wag. I appeared to scare a Muntjac which was quite satisfying as the little blighters have done the same to me in the past - that bark sounds like the Hound of the Baskervilles when delivered from close range!

Looking forward to the next arrival of migrants and hoping Blackcap and Willow Warbler appear this week.

James.

At Daventry country park yesterday I had my first sand Martin, lots of chiff chaffs singing, and on Thursday 26th we had a Sanderling briefly on the dam a rarity here, also looking from my garden in Daventry I have seen a Raven carrying nesting material !! I would never have expected that 10 years ago.

Mark

Hi Mark, I'm envious of your Sanderling as I don't think that I've seen one in the county in nearly 40 years of birding. I recently saw Raven, Buzzard, Red Kite and Peregrine within 10 minutes of each other in the north of the county, if I'd claimed that 10 years ago I would have been forced to take a drugs test.

James.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back