• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax XW Eye Pieces in Kowa 883 (1 Viewer)

bdg1

* Apologies for repost (I have posted this in main scope forum as well)

My primary use of a spotting scope is to see wildlife, birds (not an avid birder like most of the members here but I enjoy seeing birds doing their own things :) ), and hunting deer during the fall.

I purchased a Pentax 65ED III as my first spotting scope with an Vixen 8-24 Zoom.
- I also have Pentax XW 14,10,7 eye pieces which I use in my Telescopes and extensively use XW14 in Pentax 65.

I think Pentax ED II is an ok scope. Now, I have an aperture fever and looking for Alpha scopes in 80-90mm range, where Kowa 883 is on top of my list.But I like the wide views of fixed EP's and want to use XW EP's to keep the costs down.

My Question is: Has anyone managed to use XW eye pieces in Kowa 883/884? searching the forum didn't provide much information.

Last edited:
* Apologies for repost (I have posted this in main scope forum as well)

My primary use of a spotting scope is to see wildlife, birds (not an avid birder like most of the members here but I enjoy seeing birds doing their own things :) ), and hunting deer during the fall.

I purchased a Pentax 65ED III as my first spotting scope with an Vixen 8-24 Zoom.
- I also have Pentax XW 14,10,7 eye pieces which I use in my Telescopes and extensively use XW14 in Pentax 65.

I think Pentax ED II is an ok scope. Now, I have an aperture fever and looking for Alpha scopes in 80-90mm range, where Kowa 883 is on top of my list.But I like the wide views of fixed EP's and want to use XW EP's to keep the costs down.

My Question is: Has anyone managed to use XW eye pieces in Kowa 883/884? searching the forum didn't provide much information.

Hello and welcome!

It's possible with the use of a custom adapter which should cost about $150 at a local machine shop. I have the Pentax eyepieces as well as a Kowa 883 so have been down this path. Honestly, the current Kowa zoom is so good that I'd just go with the 883 and the zoom and be done with it. Get the extender for extra reach if you're hunting in the West. Otherwise, the 60x is plenty for usual use and the 88mm objective is definitely worth it for the brightness jump.

More economical - get a Pentax 80mm. If you get a good specimen you won't give up too much to the Kowa and all your eyepieces are good to go. Flip side, the 883 is light and the ergonomics are great so sell everything you've got to finance the 883 and zoom. You won't be disappointed! Watch for sales, I managed to snag my Kowa and zoom for $2100 total.

Best,
Jerry

Hello and welcome!

It's possible with the use of a custom adapter which should cost about $150 at a local machine shop. I have the Pentax eyepieces as well as a Kowa 883 so have been down this path. Honestly, the current Kowa zoom is so good that I'd just go with the 883 and the zoom and be done with it. Get the extender for extra reach if you're hunting in the West. Otherwise, the 60x is plenty for usual use and the 88mm objective is definitely worth it for the brightness jump.

More economical - get a Pentax 80mm. If you get a good specimen you won't give up too much to the Kowa and all your eyepieces are good to go. Flip side, the 883 is light and the ergonomics are great so sell everything you've got to finance the 883 and zoom. You won't be disappointed! Watch for sales, I managed to snag my Kowa and zoom for $2100 total.

Best,
Jerry

Thanks Jerry. If you don't mind can you share where did you get the adapter done for 883 and among 20,14,7 and 5 XW EP's which one of them will come to focus with 883.

I'm tempted to get Pentax PF 80 ED, too bad Pentax is has dropped the ball on QC with the scopes, and I've no idea how to perform a quality control check myself.

Like Jerry said, a good specimen of a Pentax PF80 with the fixed Eps doesn't give much up to the Kowa 883.
I had the Kowa with the 25x60, side by side with the Pentax PF80 for a week and I really wanted the Kowa and I could afford it, but I couldn't justify the price difference. There was very little in it. Where the Kowa scores is the zoom, having said that, it's so easy to swap the eps in the Pentax its nearly as quick as zooming.
The Kowa is a really nice piece of kit though. It I was retired with more time on my hands I would have probably gone for it. Like they say "you pays your money and takes your choice" my choice was the Pentax and I'm delighted with it.

Like Jerry said, a good specimen of a Pentax PF80 with the fixed Eps doesn't give much up to the Kowa 883.
I had the Kowa with the 25x60, side by side with the Pentax PF80 for a week and I really wanted the Kowa and I could afford it, but I couldn't justify the price difference. There was very little in it. Where the Kowa scores is the zoom, having said that, it's so easy to swap the eps in the Pentax its nearly as quick as zooming.
The Kowa is a really nice piece of kit though. It I was retired with more time on my hands I would have probably gone for it. Like they say "you pays your money and takes your choice" my choice was the Pentax and I'm delighted with it.

I am not an optic expert and don't know and have steps to how to verify perfect "sample" from Pentax 80ED? before the return window expires. :)

I am not an optic expert and don't know and have steps to how to verify perfect "sample" from Pentax 80ED? before the return window expires. :)

Why don't you do what I did, buy both online and return the one you don't want? You can't beat having them side by side with time to make your choice.

The quality of the light plays a massive part in the performance of a scope, if you had them side by side you would at least get a proper comparison under the same lighting conditions. Personally I can't see the point of buying a Kowa 883 and not using the 25x50 zoom.

Last edited:
Why don't you do what I did, buy both online and return the one you don't want? You can't beat having them side by side with time to make your choice.

The quality of the light plays a massive part in the performance of a scope, if you had them side by side you would at least get a proper comparison under the same lighting conditions. Personally I can't see the point of buying a Kowa 883 and not using the 25x50 zoom.

Hi from Italy.
I use my Kowa TSN-883 thanks to an adapter with Takahashi LE, i've used also Docter UWA 12.5mm, Radian and Pentax XW, so..there is no problem.
Please see my setup here:
http://www.binomania.it/setup-cielo-e-natura-kowa-tsn-883-prominar-e-accessori-vari/

Hi,

I think he uses eyepieces from the Tak LE series with an adapter in his 883.

PS: I just saw a german astro shop sells these for 30€...

https://www.intercon-spacetec.de/fe...-adapter-auf-1-25-flach-fuer-tsn-880/770.html

or usable without tools... but needs more focus travel...

https://www.intercon-spacetec.de/fe...dapter-auf-1-25-raendel-fuer-tsn-880/770.html

PPS: I am not sure if you want to use your Pentax XW EPs if you have the 25-60x zoom - it delivers 60 to 80 degree afov... and is very good. I'd think that astro EPs are best used for magnifications beyond the zoom range, with or without the extender.

Joachim

Last edited:
Hi,

I think he uses eyepieces from the Tak LE series with an adapter in his 883.

PS: I just saw a german astro shop sells these for 30€...

https://www.intercon-spacetec.de/fe...-adapter-auf-1-25-flach-fuer-tsn-880/770.html

or usable without tools... but needs more focus travel...

https://www.intercon-spacetec.de/fe...dapter-auf-1-25-raendel-fuer-tsn-880/770.html

PPS: I am not sure if you want to use your Pentax XW EPs if you have the 25-60x zoom - it delivers 60 to 80 degree afov... and is very good. I'd think that astro EPs are best used for magnifications beyond the zoom range, with or without the extender.

Joachim

I'm trying to keep my costs down by not purchasing yet another eye piece :)

Yes, but only quickly and through glass on a fair. What I saw was very good, but there was no birds in sight and distance was short. I have yet to meet a fellow birder with one in the field.

Joachim

Yes, but only quickly and through glass on a fair. What I saw was very good, but there was no birds in sight and distance was short. I have yet to meet a fellow birder with one in the field.

Joachim

Sorry Joachim. I didn't mean you, I was referring to the OP.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back