• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scotland holiday next year-any suggestions? (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
We (as in my wife & I) have decided to do a brief tour of Scotland. We have more or less decided on a basic route and would appreciate any pointers. The very general idea is as follows:-
13 days (commence Thursday-return week on Tuesday)
1st stop somewhere in the area of Oban (or lower down if you think thats better)
2nd stop Isle of Skye ?
3rd stop Ullapool area ? I would like to try and include Isle of Lewis
Cross over and down the east coast.
The only place I KNOW we want to include on the east is Seahouses (for the Farne Islands)-any advice on which is best island to visit for Puffins etc?
We want to see the beauty of Scotland but want to include any places special for birds/nature and anything you feel is a "must see"
We plan to go April/May-suggestions appreciated (as are any suggestions of how to ward of the famous mossies!!)
Thanks in advance

Hi David

First we'll get the midgies out the way... April/May they should not be a problem.

Mull is a 'must' really and just south of Oban is Kilmartin and Knapdale Forest... well worth going there... see my trip report here

Try and visit Handa, one of the best islands for Puffins alternatively the Isle of May on the East Coast.

Check out Opus too.. there's quite a few entries for Scotland there.

I'm sure others will be along soon with more ideas.

D

Gordon Hamlett's book "Best birdwatching sites in the Scottish Highlands" gives a lot of excellent information

Speyside is brilliant and so many places to visit within a relatively short distance. Spring will be bringing the ospreys back/capercaillie watches from the hide at Loch Garten =. Have a look on the Vacation thread for ideas but I'm sure you'll have lots of advice. Two weeks won't be enough!

Have got a good recommendation for B&B in Nethybridge if you're interested.

Sandra

I think you should go to Islay. The birding and wildlife watching will be as good as anywhere in the west of Scotland at the time of year that you're thinking of going. The ferry goes from Kennecraig, which is not too far south of Oban.

We (as in my wife & I) have decided to do a brief tour of Scotland. We have more or less decided on a basic route and would appreciate any pointers. The very general idea is as follows:-
13 days (commence Thursday-return week on Tuesday)
1st stop somewhere in the area of Oban (or lower down if you think thats better)
2nd stop Isle of Skye ?
3rd stop Ullapool area ? I would like to try and include Isle of Lewis
Cross over and down the east coast.
The only place I KNOW we want to include on the east is Seahouses (for the Farne Islands)-any advice on which is best island to visit for Puffins etc?
We want to see the beauty of Scotland but want to include any places special for birds/nature and anything you feel is a "must see"
We plan to go April/May-suggestions appreciated (as are any suggestions of how to ward of the famous mossies!!)
Thanks in advance

Hi David,

It's an adventurous plan - my only worry is that you are trying to do too much in too short a period of time. Consider also just basing yourself at two centres and having day trips from there eg a week on Ardnamurchan with day trips to Mull or round Ullapool and then a week on Speyside.

However, if you are determined to do the tour, then something along the following lines might suit.

day 1 Head up towards Oban for overnight.

Day 2 early morning ferry to Mull, take organised day trip (see mullbirds), night on Mull

day 3 Ferry to Kilchoan. Explore Ardnamurchan Pt. Drive to Mallaig and ferry to Skye. Night on Skye.

Day 4 day trip to Western Isles from Uig. See Calmac for details - they do combined ferry/coach trips which are very good value. Best one is over to N Uist, coach trip round Uist including stop at Balranald (for 20 mins!) for Corncrake, ferry to Harris, short coach tour, ferry back, night on Skye

Day 5 over the Skye bridge, head north, via Applecross route for views plus ptarmigan then Beinn Eighe. night at Ullapool

Day 6 up to Handa, back to Ullapool via Inverpolly

Day 7 Over to Aviemore area via Black Isle for dolphins and red kites

Days 8-10 explore Speyside - Abernethy, Lochindorb, Loch Ruthven, Cairngorm, Moray coast, Findhorn Valley

Day 11 head south via Vane Farm RSPB

Day 12 Farnes

NB if you try this itinerary, you will be totally knackered and need a holiday. The scenery will be stunning but you will have minimal time for birding - see my book for details of sites.

I strongly suggest that you pick and choose a few highlights that you really fancy doing and spend 2-3 days in each area. It's a big country and Highland miles take a lot longer to travel than normal ones!

HTH

Gordon

Speyside is brilliant and so many places to visit within a relatively short distance.
Two weeks won't be enough!
Have got a good recommendation for B&B in Nethybridge if you're interested.
Sandra

Unfortunately I will only have the 13 days (main holiday will be on Anglesey).
I would appreciate any recomendation for decent B&B (ensuite essential-nearby pub luverly)-where is Nethybridge?

Hi David,

It's an adventurous plan - my only worry is that you are trying to do too much in too short a period of time. Consider also just basing yourself at two centres and having day trips from there eg a week on Ardnamurchan with day Day 5 over the Skye bridge, head north, via Applecross route for views plus ptarmigan then Beinn Eighe. night at Ullapool

NB if you try this itinerary, you will be totally knackered and need a holiday. The scenery will be stunning but you will have minimal time for birding - see my book for details of sites.

I strongly suggest that you pick and choose a few highlights that you really fancy doing and spend 2-3 days in each area. It's a big country and Highland miles take a lot longer to travel than normal ones!
Gordon

Thank you (to everyone)
I am treating it as a 'once only' chance so trying to combine and see as much as possible but I will add your advice to the equation.
What is the book you refer to??

David said:
I would appreciate any recomendation for decent B&B (ensuite essential-nearby pub luverly)-where is Nethybridge?
Hi David

We had a Bash up there last June (a bit later than you'll be going but similar species will be around (and maybe easier to see).

The report is here

PM me for more details if you want them.

D

If you get to the north coast pop over to the gentle rolling hills of Orkney. There is a welth of things to see and do. Check out local patch.. orkney birding.. to see what you can expect to see. Or RSPB.org for the reserves. I will chuck in a days free guiding to help you get the best out of it.[allways happy to help out bf crew] Thats if you make it this far north.

If you get to the north coast pop over to the gentle rolling hills of Orkney. There is a welth of things to see and do. Check out local patch.. orkney birding.. to see what you can expect to see. Or RSPB.org for the reserves. I will chuck in a days free guiding to help you get the best out of it.[allways happy to help out bf crew] Thats if you make it this far north.

Hang on a minute Dafi - I'm just getting my coat!!

Sandra

David - The guesthouse is Tigh na Fraoch (www.carrott-photographic.com) and has en-suite rooms. Nethybridge is in Speyside a few miles from Boat of Garten and a few more from Aviemore. (Not far from the RSPB Osprey Centre in Abernethy Forest).

Gordon Hamlett's book is excellent and very useful for the whole of the Highlands. Not sure of the title but I'm sure the man himself will come back with it. The itinerary he has planned for you looks wonderful, taking in all the best places but, as he says, you will be knackered. Do half that and go again next year.

Sandra

David - The guesthouse is Tigh na Fraoch (www.carrott-photographic.com) and has en-suite rooms. The itinerary he has planned for you looks wonderful, taking in all the best places but, as he says, you will be knackered. Do half that and go again next year.

Sandra

Hi David

Sandra: The guesthouse looks fab from here :t:

I would go by what Sandra has said, and split your holiday into chunks. You know that you will always be able to come back for more next year.

I love Central Scotland myself, and lived in the central belt for a few years myself (I am from Edinburgh). So my advice would be take more time with the places that you visit and you will be surprised, and pleased that you did.

Rushing around will be very wearing after moving around after a few days. Just imagine a whole afternoon out walking around your chosen spot, spot of bird watching, with time on your hands. Then having a relaxed meal somewhere nice. Just to get the feel of the place, and the scenery is stunning to look at too. :-O

Just some thoughts here. ;)

Regards
Kathy

East Coast

You mention the east coast of Scotland and I would like to bring the following to your attention.

Troup Head.The only mainland breeding Gannet site in Scotland.

Loch of Strathbeg.Fantastic birds all year round.

Ythan Estuary/Forvie.As above

Deeside.From the river mouth at Girdleness for migrants,right up to the Braemar area and its Pinewood and Mountain birds.

St Cyrus Reserve.A very underated place,with a variety of birds and magnificent plantlife.

Just a suggestion,as everyone tends to bypass the Grampian area.

You mention the east coast of Scotland and I would like to bring the following to your attention.

Troup Head.The only mainland breeding Gannet site in Scotland.

Loch of Strathbeg.Fantastic birds all year round.

Ythan Estuary/Forvie.As above

Deeside.From the river mouth at Girdleness for migrants,right up to the Braemar area and its Pinewood and Mountain birds.

St Cyrus Reserve.A very underated place,with a variety of birds and magnificent plantlife.

Just a suggestion,as everyone tends to bypass the Grampian area.

Sorry,I forgot to mention Fowlsheugh.Breeding Puffin,Razorbill,Guilliemot etc,although April might be a little early to see Fowlsheugh in its true glory.

And in addition to Ben Nevis's excellent suggestions, don't miss Montrose Basin for waders, ducks and a whole lot more. I have some info on my web site on north east birding, and hope to add more shortly. (when I'm not too busy chasing autumn migrants)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back