• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tilton, NH (1 Viewer)

OlaB

Hi! I need help with this one. I was thinking Purple Finch at first, but the beak seems to large? Only litterature I have for USA at the moment is the National Geographic field guide which has proven not very useful when it comes to illustrations in many cases.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Purple Finch1-2663.jpg
    Purple Finch1-2663.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Purple Finch2-2661.jpg
    Purple Finch2-2661.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Purple Finch3-2670.jpg
    Purple Finch3-2670.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 74
Not a Purple, that beak is huge. It's a juvenile for sure, and I think Red-breasted Grosbeak is a good guess.

The beak looks fine to me. The distinct moustachial stripe, dark bill, and the white lacking in the wings - all points toward Purple Finch not Rose-breasted Grosbeak. Not to even mention the shape/structure is wrong for a Grosbeak (IMHO).

Best, Josh

I photoshopped all these pics, trying my best to make a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak out of this bird. I couldn't. The only thing that looks close to right is the bill. Everything else - the head pattern (or lack of it), the very muted wingbars, the striping underneath, the very lightly marked undertail coverts, and the strongly notched tail are saying Finch.

I'm not sure how to explain the bill - perhaps the bird is molting some if it's head and face feathers, which expose just a bit more of the base of the bill, making it look bigger.

Can't say definitely that it's a Purple Finch (although that seems like the most likely solution) but it's certainly not a Rose-breasted Grosbeak! Aside from the points that The Falcon made, the streaking below is far too heavy - a female RBGR has thin streaking underneath, and in juveniles, it's even sparser.

Like this bird: http://lh4.ggpht.com/_xNq1YLSSdos/ShTBSlQh28I/AAAAAAAAI7E/BbR5UrbTAW8/s800/GROSBEAK.JPG

I think the bill's apparent size is exaggerated because the feathers on this individual's head are not fully grown in.

Edit: Cross-posting with RJP.

I photoshopped all these pics, trying my best to make a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak out of this bird. I couldn't. The only thing that looks close to right is the bill. Everything else - the head pattern (or lack of it), the very muted wingbars, the striping underneath, the very lightly marked undertail coverts, and the strongly notched tail are saying Finch.

I'm not sure how to explain the bill - perhaps the bird is molting some if it's head and face feathers, which expose just a bit more of the base of the bill, making it look bigger.
This is exactly how I reasoned. Everything looks fine for Purple Finch except the bill which does look very large for a Finch. Shouldn't this tail alone rule out a Grosbeak or am I wrong there?

This is exactly how I reasoned. Everything looks fine for Purple Finch except the bill which does look very large for a Finch. Shouldn't this tail alone rule out a Grosbeak or am I wrong there?
It do think that the tail looks too forked (very "finch-like") for a grosbeak. Wouldn't go on that feature alone though, unless I were sure that the bird is not undergoing a moult ...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back