• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

visit to Arizona in September - help please!! (1 Viewer)

annikins

Hi Everyone

We are coming to Tucson in less than a month; can a local birder please tell me the latest situation at Patons place;also any up to date hummer hotspot info would be welcomed.

I wanted to know if there is anywhere to visit near Tucson that lets you feed hummers from your hand;that would be such a thrill!!

look forward to hearing from you since my original post six months ago

greetings from Annikins

Didn't go to Paton's place, but...

My wife and I went to Beatty's Ranch in mid-May, about 90 miles SE of Tucson, which is probably as good a place as any in the U.S. to see a lot of different species. We were there a couple of days, and saw eight species at and around the feeders, including White-eared and Berylline Hummingbirds. We went to Ash Canyon B&B the next canyon down to see the Lucifer, which promptly showed. Ramsey Canyon wasn't very good for us from a birding standpoint, but it was nice hiking around there.

We thought about going to Paton's to look for Violet-crowned, but didn't have time; from what I understand, it's still possible to go there.

I don't know of any places you can feed hummers by hand, other than feeding Streamertails near Montego Bay, Jamaica; I don't think it's really encouraged, in any case.

HTH, Jim

Paton's is definitely still open. Michael Marsden (a well known birder in this area) and his wife are taking care of it.
Beatty's will start to drop off in September, he's up pretty high. But should still be a good place.
Ash Canyon is great, as usual at that time.
I've started to see the numbers going up as the migrants are heading through. Seems a late start this year, numbers have been way down but are on the rise.

Hummers

Three of my favorite aunts lived in Tuscon and they always said the Sonora Desert Museum had lots of hummers. I've fed hummers by hand in south Arkansas and south Mississippi. The flow is much different in the two places. Here in s AR i have 12 to 30 hummers all summer with 8 32 oz feeders in a 20 foot row. In s MS I had 6 to 12 all summer with as many as 20 32 oz feeders up. BUT during southward migration, I had 75 or more birds on my back porch. I lay on my back in a recliner and could only get 2 feeders in the shot; 21 hummers in the pic (19 sitting and 2 hoovering). The 75 birds were in about a 10 foot area on the end of the porch. Check to see if there is a hummer banding in the area. This is a must see once in a lifetime. I've been to two. They are not all created equal, but are very simular.

When do the hummers leave for the warmer climates, we had here in Michigan and I had to take feeders down recently filled with nothing but sweat bees,, I hope I didnt take away their food too early but there were too many bees for the dear little hummers to even land, seriously and it got dangerous for us as well? thanks,, Beth

When do the hummers leave for the warmer climates, we had here in Michigan and I had to take feeders down recently filled with nothing but sweat bees,, I hope I didnt take away their food too early but there were too many bees for the dear little hummers to even land, seriously and it got dangerous for us as well? thanks,, Beth

You should start a new thread with your question, since it is not related to the subject of this thread. You will get more responses also.

Sweat bees do not sting, so there is no worry on that score. Yellow jackets however are a concern.
It is early to take down the hummer feeders. Hummers are a hardy bunch and will stay into October if circumstances are favorable.
You might look into different feeders, hopefully some are less susceptible to getting monopolized by bees.

Lisa, my wife and I were in SE Arizona several years ago in April (including Bisbee). We went to Ramsey canyon, Patagonia Preserve but missed one or two houses that were famed for their hummer residents. Is there a better time to visit the same area. I'm hoping to return in 2011.

Attachments

• Bisbee 2.jpg
    Bisbee 2.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 68
We went to Ramsey canyon, Patagonia Preserve but missed one or two houses that were famed for their hummer residents. Is there a better time to visit the same area.
I personally think late April or early May is the best time. Some say late August is better. The problem with August is the rains, some years they are very intense. For hummingbirds in this area I would recommend Beatty's Orchard and Ash Canyon B&B as the best houses to visit. The Paton's in Patagonia, and possibly Madera Canyon. Ramsey Canyons numbers and diversity seem to be down in recent years.

I just checked my records and we did go in late April of 2005. Sierra Vista was our base of operation. We also visited the Chiricahuas but missed Portal which, I understand, is another great birding area. Thanks for the tip.

Dennis

Dennis,
I was beat last night when I responded. Meant to add nice picture of Main Street in Bisbee.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back