• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uganda - Sunbird (1 Viewer)

The fact that your bird looks to have a bluish sheen on the back (as opposed to green), is in favour of Red-chested.

Me too, and the sheen on the back, insofar as we can see it seems greenish.

Really!

We'll have to disagree on that one because I see a definite blue hue.

Tail is undeniable though, unless the central tail has been moulted? Look at this bird, if it were to shed that remaining feather, it would look like the OP.

http://www.tanzaniabirds.net/African_birds/sunbird_red-chested/rcs.htm

Area above the breast band is not blue either, it should be in Marico, I think this is Red-chested which has lost it's tail streamers.

Last edited:
Really!

We'll have to disagree on that one because I see a definite blue hue.

Tail is undeniable though, unless the central tail has been moulted? Look at this bird, if it were to shed that remaining feather, it would look like the OP.

http://www.tanzaniabirds.net/African_birds/sunbird_red-chested/rcs.htm

Area above the breast band is not blue either, it should be in Marico, I think this is Red-chested which has lost it's tail streamers.

Got to agree with Andy here. Looks like a Red-chested to me. The red chest band is too broad for Marico, the tail feathers are not square, showing that it's growing a new central tail feather

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back