• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Field Guide, Ireland (1 Viewer)

killik

I'm planning a trip to Ireland in September, and I'm looking for
opinions on the best guide to carry. I'll be spending a few days
in Wales at the end of the trip, as well as returning to other parts
of the UK in a couple of years, so if there's a guide that covers both
Ireland and the UK, that would be ideal.

The answer has to be Collins. This covers not only Ireland and Britain, but the rest of Europe and North Africa as well.

Collins Bird Guide (Mullarney, Svensson, Zetterstrom, Grant) or Birds of Europe (Jonsson) are the best and most comprehensive. For something a little more pocketable try A Pocket Guide to the Birds of Britain and North-West Europe (Madge, Nurney). A comprehensive Irish guide is The Complete Guide to Ireland's Birds (Dempsey, O'Clery), which is a large format hardback - not good for ID but gives an idea of what is present in Ireland and has distribution maps. It was edited down to form the small paperback A Pocket Guide to the Common Birds of Ireland. For where to see birds, try Where to Watch Birds in Ireland (Hutchinson).

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back