• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice sought on colour-ringed birds (1 Viewer)

WelshFalcon

simple question, but what' the answer?!

If I see a colour-ringed bird in the UK, who should I report it to?

I see on the BTO website that they ask for details of metal, numbered rings, but no mention of colour-ringed birds.

I've informed our county bird recorder via e mail, but have heard nothing back from him.

Any ideas?

WelshFalcon,
If you see any colour ringed wildfowl (swans, geese and ducks) in the UK report them to Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust, Slimbridge, Gloucestershire. For other birds there is a great website with lots of contacts for all sorts of species including the ones that I have given above (I am particularly interested in the wildfowl). The website is

http://www.cr-birding.be/

Beware if you have a sound card in your puter as the home page has a catchy tune that you will not be able to get out of your head....lol

This is not a commercial site and I have no connection with it. It is an attempt and a very good one to point people in the right direction if they see a colour marked bird.

As you are probably aware, several things are important to note when you come across a bird with a colour ring(s) or neck collar. I will outline them for those who have never seen such marks. Please note the colour of the ring or neck collar and the letters and/or numbers inscribed on it if any. With leg rings, note which leg the colour ring is on and if there are more than one, note the order stating whether you are reading up or down the leg. Of course, the date and place are essential. Other information would be useful including a mate present and/or younsters, flock size, unusual weather conditions, etc. Finally, I will attach a picture of a Black-headed Gull with a colour ring so that anyone who is interested will know what to look for.

Colin

Well the pic failed again with no message to say why. It is only 80 and a bit K so it is within the limits so I give up. But I will try it in the gallery.

Colin

Thanks for the information - and what a quick response.

The bird I saw was actually on the WWT Wetands Centre Wales, but when I mentined it to one of the volunteers, he had no idea who I should report it to!

I'll let Slimbridge know

Thanks

welshfalcon

Hi there fellow welshman,
you didnt say if your coloured rings were of a pigeon or wild bird (joking of course).
get in touch with the RSPB as they seem to get back to you sharp and on the ball. BTO are not my favourite at the moment

Speaking of ringed birds, I saw this one today at South Gare on Teesmouth.
I had a look at the site that Colin mentions and I think it may have been ringed in 1994.

Attachments

• ringed-sanderling.jpg
    ringed-sanderling.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 245
Just an update as regards the Sanderling I contacted the site that Colin gives above and received this email this morning - looks like I was a bit out in the ageing - should be 1979 !

Dear Nicholas,

Many thanks for reporting your Sanderling colour-ring sighting. Though our work at Durham University has had to end, we are still interested in receiving colour-ring sightings to subsequently feed into the national ringing database. From the photo kindly provided, the red ring appears to be over the yellow with no rings above either knee. This makes the bird an individual ringed at Teesmouth on 28th May 1979 as first summer, i.e. born in summer 1978.

For your information, I've copied below text from a report I'm working on that details some of the findings we have had from colour-ringing of Sanderling at Teesmouth.

Many thanks again for the colour-ring sighting,
Best regards,
Robin

4.1.1 Sanderling

Sanderling from breeding populations in arctic Canada, Greenland, Svalbard and Siberia occur in Britain. Some birds only pass through in spring and autumn, and go on to winter in South Africa. Others undertake post-nuptial moult and over-winter (Smit & Piersma 1989). The proportion of the passage and wintering populations in Britain that originate from the different breeding areas is currently unknown (Davidson et al 1986, Smit & Piersma 1989).

Adult Sanderling begin arriving at Teesmouth from mid July from Nearctic breeding grounds as suggested from several spring Icelandic recoveries. Some birds undertake post-nuptial moult whilst others pass rapidly through to wintering areas that extend south to Ghana. From late October birds, that have moulted on the Wash arrive at Teesmouth to winter along the northeast coast. Whether most/all these latter birds originate from Nearctic breeding grounds is unknown. Juveniles begin arriving by September, Icelandic spring recoveries suggesting these birds to be from the Nearctic population. For this later cohort, colour ring sightings have demonstrated that many winter and most moult at Teesmouth in subsequent years. Autumn recoveries of birds from Poland, Sweden (Ottenby & Kalmar) and Germany (Rostock) ringed in previous autumns or winters at Teesmouth, may be Nearctic birds (Gudmundsson & Lindstrom 1992). No data as yet indicate any of Teesmouth's Sanderling to be confirmed Siberian birds i.e. located at or near the breeding grounds or within the proposed spring route of a loop migration (Nikolaus & Chernitchko unpubl.).

The increase in the Teesmouth population during mid-winter, is partly the result of the arrival, of birds from the adjacent coastline These birds later re-disperse prior to their return for prenuptial moult (Cooper 1987). Colour ring sightings at Teesmouth indicate high site fidelity of Sanderling for wintering and moulting sites (Cooper 1987). However two recoveries suggest that some juveniles may be on the Wash in their first winter, and are present at Teesmouth in a subsequent winter having undertaken post-nuptial moult at the Wash.

Most birds depart from Teesmouth for the breeding grounds during spring after pre-nuptial moult. Eight colour-ringed birds present either in autumn or winter at Teesmouth have been subsequently sighted in spring on the German and Danish Wadden Sea coasts (5 & 2 recoveries respectively), and the Netherlands (1); these are almost certainly Nearctic breeders (Klaus Günter pers. comm.). Birds that have wintered south of Britain, pass through Teesmouth in spring, with numbers often peaking in late May. Two recoveries from these passage birds show some may move along the west coast in another spring or autumn. Both passage and wintering populations at Teesmouth provide the 48 spring recoveries of presumed Nearctic breeders staging in southwest Iceland (Gudmundsson & Lindstrom 1992). Amongst these birds are several within season recoveries, and an individual also sighted in different autumns in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany and France.

Whereas Teesmouth supports nationally important numbers of Sanderling throughout the non-breeding season, it is only during autumn and in particular spring passage that Seal Sands is frequented by the species and in large numbers at low tide; winter residents are also present. The broad range within weekly low tide counts during passage periods is both a reflection of turnover rates and variable site usage between years. Recent observations elsewhere along North Sea coasts show the use of mudflats during passage periods for a species more typical of open sea beaches and rocky scars, to occur.
R.M.Ward (working draft, EN report, 27/1/03)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Robin M. Ward,
Waterbird Monitoring Officer,
The Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust,
Slimbridge, Glos. GL2 7BT, U.K..

Tel no. 01453 891900 ext 272
Fax no. 01453 890901
e-mail: [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back