• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sad first post .... (1 Viewer)

Warblers that had been nesting in our front yard for the last few weeks have inexplicably abandoned the nest. After so industriously building within the ceramic birdhouse I provided and beginning to care for the little ones, the parents left. They had already been feeding the babies and cleaning up after them. This same sad event happened in a different birdhouse a few years ago. Can anyone explain this apparently irresponsible behavior???

IMG_1116.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1116.jpg
    IMG_1116.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 50
Hi babblebrook and a warm welcome to you on behalf of the Staff and Moderators.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like they may have suffered some disturbance.

D

Thanks for the warm welcome, D!
I have another birdhouse about 20 feet or so away from the original one that was abandoned. A pair of warblers are setting up housekeeping there --- I suspect it's the same pair. Perhaps there was a disturbance yesterday; I was away for the weekend ....
I am heartsick about the babies and have not been able to look inside yet. I want to clean out the nest and hope for another set of parents.

Hi, Babblebrook, and another welcome to BirdForum. We are glad to have you aboard!

Can you tell us the species of the warbler that nested in the ceramic nest house?

From looking at the above videos, I think your "warblers" may be House Wrens. They like to nest in bird houses in peoples' yards. The also sing a "warbling" song! Perhaps you could check in your Stokes Bird Guide and see if the House Wren pictured there resembles your nesting birds.

Good Birding!

Dear Larry,
You are absolutely correct! I checked Stokes and my "warblers" are warbling house wrens. Thanks so much for your input.
The same abandonment scenario happened in my yard about 3 years ago. The nesting site was a "roosting pocket" woven from natural materials: straw, twigs, etc.
Those warblers must have been house wrens, too. No apparent reason or event to have caused the parents to leave half-hatched babies behind. (About 7 of them.)
Anyway, I'm pleased to have made your acquaintance.

Happy birding to you, as well.

No babies! Yesterday I took down the abandoned nest, steeling myself for the shells, embryos, and baby birds I would find, but the nest had only nesting material the parents had used. The house wren parents are now busily building in a different birdhouse farther from my windows.

Attachments

• birdhouse contents.jpg
    birdhouse contents.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back