• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ospreys and chicks at Loch of Lowes (1 Viewer)

Dave Sherry

Hello All,

My wife and I went to a friends wedding this weekend at Dunkeld, just north of Perth in Scotland. When we had a spare couple of hours we journeyed the two miles to the Loch of Lowes visitor centre. We were amazed and delighted to see a pair of Ospreys with three chicks in the nest!!

Needless to say, I took some photos, which, as usual have turned out pityful, but nonetheless, you will get the idea. The Ospreys looked great through the telescope and there is a live video link in the hide.

Well worth a visit if you can spare the time and are in Scotland. We have never seen Ospreys in the wild before and we were both just gobsmacked by their beauty and grace. The chicks kept their heads down for the most part but when one of the adults returned with food they began to jump about in the nest. They weren't the only ones - we did as well! Anyway, the chicks looked pretty big to my untrained eye and after feeding did a lot of wing stretching, so I don't think it will be long before thet fledge.

Below are a couple of the photos, cropped and compressed. Apologies for the quality but the reality was better.

Heres hoping some of you get to go.

Cheers, Dave B B :) o:)

Attachments

• osprey + 3 chicks 210603.jpg
    osprey + 3 chicks 210603.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 421
Dave,

You can only attach one photo to each post, but to put another one in a reply, don't use the 'post reply' box below the message - you need to click the large green 'post reply' button at the far right side of the maroon bar at the bottom of the last post. That also gives you the choice of using the smilies.

We were also at Loch of the Lowes last week - the views of the nest were indeed very good. I have some photos in my gallery. I couldn't get one with all three chicks heads showing though.

:t:

Thanks Diane for the instructions. If the photo is below then I have followed them correctly.

It really was a good spot, the ospreys weren't the only interesting sights. There was a nesting Great Crested Grebe about 20 yds from the hide on a floating patch of lilys. It looked to be sleeping and I didn't see any young, so not sure whether or not they've hatched.

This photo was taken earlier than the first and the chicks hadn't made their presence known. We were just amazed by the sight of such a majestic bird.

Cheers, Dave. ;)

Attachments

• osprey 210603.jpg
    osprey 210603.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 403
Weve got some great osprey views just over the Northumberland border at present, with Three chicks doing well, theres a visitor site now that its public knowledge, visit Glentress or Kailzie gardens where they have a web cam in place too! lets hpoe they come down a little south next year! (ps its been in the press so I think its ok to let others know!) (its 8 miles from Peebles, 9 miles from Galashiels if your not sure where to go!)

Dave Sherry said:
I took some photos, which, as usual have turned out pityful,

In your photo editing program, try using an 'unsharp mask' and maybe play around with the contrast as well. You might be surprised at how many of your soft looking photos can be made that bit better.

Was it a 'real' Scottish wedding, with ceilidh dancing and all?

Last edited:
I missed this thread earlier - thanks Esmond for updating it :t:

We called in on the 7th and 14th June and it's amazing how much larger the chicks have grown. It was the best location we found for close views of Osprey - two years running.

Thanks for the advice Esmondb. I will give it a go. And, yes, it was traditional - piper, ceilidh and haggis!! We had a great time, and the birding was a real bonus and probably the reason we will go back there. Soon, I hope.

Dave

IanF said:
I missed this thread earlier - thanks Esmond for updating it :t:

We called in on the 7th and 14th June and it's amazing how much larger the chicks have grown. It was the best location we found for close views of Osprey - two years running.

There are dozens of small fish farms dotted around Scotland. Most will offer great views of ospreys fishing. I found one near Beauly which even had a hide.

If fish farmers can be so tolerant, why can't gamekeepers be the same with hen harriers?

Dave Sherry said:
Hello All,

My wife and I went to a friends wedding this weekend at Dunkeld, just north of Perth in Scotland. When we had a spare couple of hours we journeyed the two miles to the Loch of Lowes visitor centre. We were amazed and delighted to see a pair of Ospreys with three chicks in the nest!!

Needless to say, I took some photos, which, as usual have turned out pityful, but nonetheless, you will get the idea. The Ospreys looked great through the telescope and there is a live video link in the hide.

Well worth a visit if you can spare the time and are in Scotland. We have never seen Ospreys in the wild before and we were both just gobsmacked by their beauty and grace. The chicks kept their heads down for the most part but when one of the adults returned with food they began to jump about in the nest. They weren't the only ones - we did as well! Anyway, the chicks looked pretty big to my untrained eye and after feeding did a lot of wing stretching, so I don't think it will be long before thet fledge.

Below are a couple of the photos, cropped and compressed. Apologies for the quality but the reality was better.

Heres hoping some of you get to go.

Cheers, Dave B B :) o:)

That sounds great. There is a website and indeed webcam for these particular birds.

They fledged last week!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back