• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is Findhorn Valley the best site in the UK for viewing Golden Eagles? (1 Viewer)

PaulAshton

Can anyone tell me... is Findhorn the best for Golden Eagles?

Do you have a better location?

Or perhaps a top 3 sites?

:t:

How about the nest site in the Lake District if more convenient and at the right time?

Also I saw more near Gruinyard Island than in the Findhord plus the bonus of a white-tailed to boot. (not booted!).

James

I've thought of visiting the Lake District site but had heard that visitor disturbance was putting the breeding sucess at risk and limiting the eagles freedom to hunt.

Is there a best time to go when the risk of human disturbance is the least?

Do the eagles stay in the vicinity ourside the breeding season?

Paul it certainly one of the better known sites,earlier this year I had excellent views of a pair flying along the south ridge.There are other good areas particullarly on the west coast and further north,weather and food are an important factor,and the odds of seeing any birds of prey if you go near a shooting moor are pretty low.But Findhorn is excellent area ,Ravens Wheatear redstart, but the summer visitors will soon be getting ready to leave.

John

Can't see a problem with affecting the breeding success of the Eagles, don't think they have bred there for ages. was told by the warden it is due to the male being too old (38 apparently). when I saw them this year I was the only person there for two hours! The eagles stay in the valley all year round, only occasionally venturing outside the immediate area (perhaps they are agrophobic?).

As for a good sight for Golden Eagle, the Skye ferry terminal at Kylerhea always produces the goods when I'm there.

Findhorn "Valley" is certainly not the best site, just the most well known. It used to be a lot better than it is now.
Mull is certainly the best place for obtaining good views of Golden Eagles. It has the highest density in Europe and birds breed down at sea level.

JP

Actually saw a couple a few weeks ago in Findhorn valley, but must agree Mull is the place to go, could not miss them as well as white tailed. Luckily I had excellent weather which made the whole experience more pleasurable!
Ian

Following a week in Islay where I observed various pairs of Golden Eagles, I was completely gobsmacked to return home to Glasgow and find 3 flying directly above my home in Torrance outside Glasgow. Once you hear their distinctive cry, the sky empties of all other smaller bsrds. I can only imagine that the eagles are nesting in the nearby Campsie Hills. Only yesterday I observed them at a height of approx 50 feet, circling against a blue cloudless sky. o:D o:D

Hi EagleEye,

Welcome to the forums!

I don't want to sound too dismissive, but are you certain they weren't Buzzards? There's no Eagles in the Campsie Fells, they're not the right habitat for them. The nearest Eagles to Glasgow are in the Ben Lomond - Ben Venue area, about 20 miles north of you, but there are plenty of Buzzards in the Campsies.

Eagles are also generally silent, while Buzzards are much more vocal.

Michael

Coming from a standpoint of fair ignorance about Golden Eagles (but having memorably seen them in the Lake District), I also wonder about EagleEye's comment, "Once you hear their distinctive cry, the sky empties of all other smaller birds." Why would small birds have anything to fear from GEs; surely their greater manoeuvrability would keep them out of harm's reach? I have heard of GEs going for larger birds, and also of Merlins harassing GEs who have strayed into their territory, but not of GEs going after small birds. Information please!

Alan Hill

Hi Alan,

Golden Eagles have been recorded taking avian prey ranging in size from pipits up to swans - but the great majority is medium/large (Red Grouse up to Capercaillie). Similarly for mammals, from voles up to adult Roe Deer, but the great majority in the Rabbit to Hare size range.

By and large, you're right, small birds don't have much to worry from eagles.

Michael

Hi Eagle Eye
I tend to agree with what Michael says, its unlikely to be eagles in that location, I live just along the Kelvin Valley from you and buzzards are extremely common in our area now, even on the edge of towns like Cumbernauld you can hardly miss them. I have to say though I have been caught out in the same way especially in the Sma' Glen and Glen Artney, its not as easy as some would have you think
Regards
Will

Thanks for all your replies. I've spoken with the RSPB in Glasgow today who have also suggested the Buzzard alternative. I'll keep an eye out for them again and attempt a photograph.

Regards

EagleEye o:D

North Sutherland.
Take the road from Alnaharra to Loch Hope, pull off the road by the small loch before you get to the main loch (large (massive) boulder nearby). Sit here all day if necessary, packed lunch required. Have seen up to 5 Golden Eagles in the air together at this point and singles on many occasions. Also good for Peregrine, Merlin, Raven and Ring Ousel on the rocky slopes above the road. Black-throated Diver may be seen on the main loch.

With respect to EagleEye hearing Golden Eagles calling, this is possible but most unlikely outside the breeding territory, eagles tend to be silent birds being very rarely heard outside the breeding season.

nirofo

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back