Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Insurance - Who do you use ?

Old Tuesday 13th December 2005, 11:50   #1
Nigel G

Insurance - Who do you use ?

My birding equipment is currently covered as non-specified items under my Home Contents - Personal Possessions with Lloyds TSB. As it is due for renewal next month, and following similar threads on BF, I checked the small print on the policy document to see what would happen if I lost the lot in one go - most likely through theft from (or of) the car.

The maximum claim per incident is 5K - no problem there (although if you add a DSLR and long lens(es) that wouldn't be enough for some).

The max claim per item is 2.5K - As my Swaro ELs are the most expensive individual item that should be OK (although again in due course would a DSLR + lens + TC + 2GB Card count as one item or 4)

Exclusion: Max payable claim following theft from an unattended motor vehicle 1K

Having surfed the net I haven't yet found a policy that doesn't have these sorts of limits and particularly the limitations about cars. So is anyone out there using something (affordable) that genuinely provides an all risks, new for old, cover.

The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power,
the shapes of things, their colours, lights, and shade;
these I saw.
Look ye also while life lasts.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 22nd December 2005, 09:10   #2
vidler23
Mad Butcher

Wink Insurance

Hi Nigel,
I use Golden Valley Ins, in Herts and have had several claims without problems. One being having had my telescope stolen on New Years day from the boot of my car. If you claim you pay 10% excess for damage and loss and 20% for theft from a car. I did try another company which has been debated alot on this forum, something to do with leisure and there policy is not worth the paper its written on. Not telling anybody how to suck eggs, but read the small print, at the end of the day you get what you pay for. As usual keep all your receipts and if stolen get a report number from the nearest police station.

Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel G
My birding equipment is currently covered as non-specified items under my Home Contents - Personal Possessions with Lloyds TSB. As it is due for renewal next month, and following similar threads on BF, I checked the small print on the policy document to see what would happen if I lost the lot in one go - most likely through theft from (or of) the car.

The maximum claim per incident is 5K - no problem there (although if you add a DSLR and long lens(es) that wouldn't be enough for some).

The max claim per item is 2.5K - As my Swaro ELs are the most expensive individual item that should be OK (although again in due course would a DSLR + lens + TC + 2GB Card count as one item or 4)

Exclusion: Max payable claim following theft from an unattended motor vehicle 1K

Having surfed the net I haven't yet found a policy that doesn't have these sorts of limits and particularly the limitations about cars. So is anyone out there using something (affordable) that genuinely provides an all risks, new for old, cover.

http://www.andyvidler.co.uk

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 6th April 2006, 03:50   #3
Allenhan

Try checking this out http://www.insurance-quote-free.com maybe it might help with your concern... :)
Old Thursday 6th April 2006, 09:50   #4
Nick Elliston

Nigel

Although the policy wording will show standard restrictions, some insurers will extend the maximum limit for some benefits (subject to maybe a small additional premium). Tell your insurer why you need a higher limit and they might be willing to extend. If not try others although it may be difficult to do this online as you might need to speak to them.

Nick
Old Thursday 6th April 2006, 12:06   #5
Corax67

Nigel,

You may struggle with this one - majority of extended cover policies apply a severe restriction for theft from a motor vehicle payout.

Using the Extended Contents option is by far the most cost effective method of covering your kit as standalone prices can be very high for equivalent cover levels.

Quote:
although again in due course would a DSLR + lens + TC + 2GB Card count as one item or 4)
In this scenario the component parts would be regarded as individual items for the claim (I used to work in an underwriters department for my sins)
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: