Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

photo gear insurance

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 20th November 2006, 23:53   #26
Steve

Send me 30p john and I'll insure ALL your goods
Old Tuesday 21st November 2006, 00:36   #27
Keith Reeder
Watch the birdie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader
I don't have household insurance as I rent my property. However I have been considering getting contents insurance. Would I get a similar deal tagged onto a contents insurance policy?
Hi John,

renting or not, you should really have contents insurance, mate - trust me: I was burgled twice in three weeks back when I rented, and if I hadn't had contents insurance I'd have been royally stuffed.

The kind of "all risks" cover for camera gear we're talking about can only be on contents insurance anyway.

When we talk about "household" insurance we're essentially only talking about two kinds of cover: contents, and "bricks and mortar".

The latter covers owner if the roof blows off in a gale, but for anything in the house - and if you get "all risks", outside the house too - we're talking about contents insurance.

Get it done, John!

Canon 7D, Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS, TCs.
www.capture-the-moment.co.uk

BF Supporter 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 21st November 2006, 09:50   #28
mrcheeky

Smile Contents Insurance

Quote:
Hi Peter

I don't have household insurance as I rent my property. However I have been considering getting contents insurance. Would I get a similar deal tagged onto a contents insurance policy?

John
John I own my flat. It dosen't matter whether you own or rent your property
you need a household policy contents only with a good all risks section. If you require further information let me know and I will let you have my mobile no.

Even if I damage my equipment I am fully covered.

Cheers

Peter

Have a great day do you ever come to Southport?
Old Tuesday 21st November 2006, 12:12   #29
rosbifs

Quote:
Hi Peter

John
Contents insurance doesn't rely on actually owning a property. However, if it's shared you won't be able to get all risks and accidental damage cover.

As an interesting point I went on holiday with camera and binoc's etc. It was covered when left in the tent (which I couldn't lock) but not in the car (which I could) - which is safer?
Old Tuesday 21st November 2006, 18:24   #30
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcheeky
John I own my flat. It dosen't matter whether you own or rent your property
you need a household policy contents only with a good all risks section. If you require further information let me know and I will let you have my mobile no.

Even if I damage my equipment I am fully covered.

Cheers

Peter

Have a great day do you ever come to Southport?
Hi Peter

You couldn't PM your land line number could you. I can call land lines for free but mobiles cost the earth with the package I have got. Either that or you could PM the details. I will be interested in looking into anything at the moment.

John
Old Tuesday 21st November 2006, 20:57   #31
Nigel G

8 months on and I stand by the recommendation I made in May.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=49638

Since then I have had to make a claim albeit not for camera gear but following a burst pipe. The service was superb and the claim (which required nothing more than than the plumber's bill and a short covering note) was settled by bank transfer with cleared funds in my account 72hrs after I posted it.

The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power,
the shapes of things, their colours, lights, and shade;
these I saw.
Look ye also while life lasts.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 30th March 2007, 12:13   #32
grahams

Photographic Gear Insurance.

I hunted around for insurance for quite a while. After taking advice from a long standing professional photographer, I used Towergate Insurance. They will also insure your computer equipment.
Old Tuesday 30th October 2007, 20:37   #33
Stranger

Having dropped a camera I checked my household insurance and found I was covered and the camera was duly repaired.
Reading through the policy I discovered that there is a limit to the amount I can claim for theft,fire etc.
So when I bought a bigma lens from Jessops I took out their insurance on it.
I recently had problems,after nearly two years, with the motor squealing and autofocus not working.
A phone call to the claims department resulted in the lens being shipped off to a company called Camtronics where it was duly sent off to Sigma for repair.
I now have the lens back in as good as new condition.
A big thumbs up to all involved and I cannot stress enough,the importance of making sure you have adequate insurance for your gear.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 10th November 2007, 10:31   #34
Ken Hall

reading through this thread has made me look at my own insurance. Being of a certain age, I am insured through Saga. I wanted to get confirmation from them in writing (not from a call centre) that my photo gear would be covered for theft from an unattended vehicle. They replied (I was a bit surprised) and I quote:

I can advise that your photographic equipment would be covered under the Personal Belongings Away From Home section of your policy, as each item is individually valued at under 1000.00. The photographic equipment would be covered if stolen from an unattended vehicle providing it is locked away in the boot of your car or out of site (sic). You should also take due care and attention to prevent a loss.

This sounds acceptable to me, considering the total value is around 5000.00, all of which could realistically go at once.

I'm Freewheeling Now (Going Rapidly Downhill)

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 15th November 2007, 20:28   #35
Auntystatic

I was surprised to find that some insurers class you as professional, if you have sold just one image for profit. Others quote a percentage of your annual income from photography.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: