• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins Field Guide on PocketPC (1 Viewer)

Anyone running on PPC with 640x480 screen tell me how good it looks on this size screen pls. Are the images smaller...??
Thanks

Eliter7 said:
Anyone running on PPC with 640x480 screen tell me how good it looks on this size screen pls. Are the images smaller...??
Thanks

The images are slightly larger than the book, see attachment below. I am using a HP iPAQ hx4700 Pocket PC.

Attachments

• eGuide.jpg
    eGuide.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 198
I spoke to Wildsounds yesterday and in the next week or so,they will be upgrading the programme adding more calls and song,also including smartsearch.

POP

Thanks for excellent photo Dave, gives me confidence to but for my higher res PPC now. Although ill maybe wait a few days for that update mentioned.
Thanks all.

Hi there
Can anyone give me instructions on how to copy the program onto a CD, I've just tried and got a message saying "Windows cannot copy this file" (SD card)
Many thanks

Eliter7 said:
Thanks for excellent photo Dave, gives me confidence to but for my higher res PPC now. Although ill maybe wait a few days for that update mentioned.
Thanks all.

You don't need to wait for the update as it will be available free charge from their website.

BTW the higher res is also very valuable for looking at photos straight from the camera. Just plug in the memory card and have a look.

Dave

The update is rather big could take ages to download,I believe the plan will be to ask to have the disk sent back they will add update to disk,only charge would be postage.

POP

bob hastie said:
Hi there
Can anyone give me instructions on how to copy the program onto a CD, I've just tried and got a message saying "Windows cannot copy this file" (SD card)
Many thanks

I ordered a copy on Tuesday evening and it arrived yesterday - great service. The first thing I wanted to do was transfer it to another card so I don't have to keep swapping cards.

I put the card into my PPC and let it install, then I registered the software.

In ActiveSync go to Options>Conversion Settings>General Tab and ensure "Convert files when synchronized, copied or moved" is unchecked

In ActiveSync use Explore to browse to Storage Card then

Edit>Select All
Edit>Copy

Now use My Computer to browse to a suitable directory and
Edit>Paste

This will copy the contents of the storage card to your PC, from which you can create a CD in your normal manner.

Just remember you must have convert files switched off. I first tried it with convert files switched on and the database files didn't come across.

Last edited:
This product sounds most attractive as the Collins Book is too big to fit the pockets of most of my jackets.

I am a bit confused by the comments about screen resolution and image size. Is the image the same size on a 480 x 640 screen as it is on a 240 x 320 or is it smaller. I ask because I will have to buy a pda to go with it and my preferred model at the moment is the Hewlett Packard IPAQ 4700 which has a resolution of 480 x 640, or would I be better off with 240 x 320.

Any comments would be much appreciated before I part with my hard earned cash.

Regards

Dave

DJW said:
This product sounds most attractive as the Collins Book is too big to fit the pockets of most of my jackets.

I am a bit confused by the comments about screen resolution and image size. Is the image the same size on a 480 x 640 screen as it is on a 240 x 320 or is it smaller. I ask because I will have to buy a pda to go with it and my preferred model at the moment is the Hewlett Packard IPAQ 4700 which has a resolution of 480 x 640, or would I be better off with 240 x 320.

Any comments would be much appreciated before I part with my hard earned cash.

Regards

Dave
Hi Dave

The 240 x 320 screens are quoted as 3.5" whereas the 480 x 640 screens are 4" (across opposite corners). So the 4700 screen is slightly larger than the lower res models. One of the posts above says that the image magnification is the same as the book on a 240 x 320 screen. As you can see from my earlier post the image size on a 4700 is slightly larger than the book. I haven't seen a lower res model running this program but I strongly suspect that the field of view is the same on all models.

It would seem to me that if you are only intending to use your ppc for eBird Guide then you will be happy with the lower resolution. However if you would be using it to look at photos then the higher resolution is a must. The pictures from Bird Guides are not high resolution so there is no advantage in using the higher res ppc.

Personally I am extremely happy with my 4700 for this and other applications.

Dave

Dave Smith said:
Hi Dave

Personally I am extremely happy with my 4700 for this and other applications.

Dave

Thanks for your comments Dave and my inclination is to go for the higher resolution for other applications.

One of the problems I have found today is that the 4700 is remarkably unavailable so I may have to consider the Dell Axim 51 series which I guess is very similar.

Dave

Going off the thread has anyone any info on CF or SD cards for WiFi on the PDA.A card that is reasonable in price and has a good range.
Many Thanks

POP

post 42 has thumbnail of HP4700 showing a page alongside page of guidebook for comparison. Don't know if you'd seen this. I am thinking of buying the same pda along with the e-guide, best price at moment is PCworld £319.00 for pda

Keith Dickinson said:
Just checked on PCworld website, HP4700 available for delivery @ £316.48 + £4.99 P&P

Unfortunately when you try and find a store that has one in stock you run into problems. I tried my local store and they were unable to tell me when, or even if, they would be receiving any more. I tried another store and they had one stock but that worries me as it may be a display model.

What concerns me is that the 4700 may be about to be replaced by a new model as it is now well over a year old which is a long time as far as computer development is concerned.

I am now considering the recently introduced Dell Axim x51 which is similarly priced and has the advantage of using the new Windows mobile operating system (version 5) which is supposed to be a considerable improvement on previous systems. The screen, however, is slightly smaller at 3.7 " as against 4" for the 4700.

Regards

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back