• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone using a handheld for birding? (1 Viewer)

WOW...I never realised such things existed! But as I'm a bit of a technophobe...and machines really don't like me all that much anyway...I think I'll stick to my pencil and sketchpad!
Having said that...the cogs are starting to work in my brain...this may just be a way to get the hubby more interested in going birding with me! He's obsessed, like a lot of men, with gadgets and machines!!!
It probably won't be that long till a lot of UK birders have these things.....haven't seen any yet though!

GILL

I was just getting ready to buy a good Minidisc for downloading bird song prior to a trip to learn the calls and some limited field playback. Cost for a top of the line with built in speaker is about $250.

The notes above about being able to play bird song from a handheld made me think this might be a very good alternative. I currently keep all my sighting records on a database so field recording of sightings on a handheld would get rid of having to handwrite sightings first and then re-inputting them into the PC later.

I'd love to hear any more ideas on using a handheld for birdsongs.

Thanks,

Dave,

I use a pair of external powered speakers that are housed in a mesh hip pack. The cord goes right into the handheld and, using Pocket Bird Recorder (recorder refers to recording sightings...NOT recording sounds) to play them (it has a loop feature) I have had wonderful results. The Pocket PC has a sound player built in as well. This allows you to tap a file name from the "File Explorer" program and it plays it once. There is no looping capability here.

Another possibilty is to rip a bird CD to MP3 and then convert to .WMA to play in the "Windows Media Player" that is built into many of the newer Pocket PCs.

The mini-disc thing has been widely used because it is so compact and easy to cue. A great way to do it if you aren't looking for the other features handheld can offer. I believe you could plug in some external speakers here as well as most of these with built in speakers do not give the wattage to throw a bird song very far.

Let me know if you have any other questions...

Steve

Steve,
Thanks for the comments. I did check out several of the links y'all provided and am getting a little better idea of how this would work. I was trying to avoid the external speakers for portability sake but am aware most guides who use a Minidisc setup do use externals for the reason you mention.

I have been downloading birdcalls to a CD and use this for pretrip learning but they don't serve well for any field work.

I'll probably PM you with more questions as I go through this and do appreciate the advice.
Thanks,

Yet another use for a PDA - see my post elsewhere - very much pre dawn chorus (I'd link to it if I knew how!) - dead useful for snatching a quick recording of a bird song you don't recognise and then posting it on Bird Forum for ID!

Perhaps we should have a separate forum for song ID's!!

John Fleet

Mark
A good bet in that price range would be the ipaq 1940,
dell axim range or the Asus A620.
All have compact flash slots.
As for viewing photos on pda's, I have a program called Picture perfect which is pretty much designed for people viewing there digital camera pics on a pda.Lets you view at full res or a shrunk version, zoom in, etc etc.
Saying that though Ive found I havent used it as much as I thought I would. But I think if someone was away from a Pc for more than a day (Or maybe on a distant twitch), I think the program would be very useful.
As for Palms being cheaper, the ones like the Sony Clies all seem to have much less ram and processing power.
(I am guessing this is due to Palm OS being not as hungry as WM.)
But 16mb of ram is pretty useless in my book, you would get to install about 2 programs and it would be full.

Hope that helps.
Pete.

I have to agree with what Michael said very early in this thread - I don't think any palmtop/handheld would last very long in the damp/rain. I have a Psion but I don't use it outside. I stick to a notebook and pencil (not a pen since the ink runs in the rain).

I'd like to go the hand-held route, but have no interest in the traditional uses for such items.

As such, I'm looking for a very inexpensive hand-held that will run Tweet-Chirp. I've never owned one of these things, so here's a question:

Does a model such as the Compaq 2015C (a very inexpensive item I found online), with 20 GB of memory, have an internal speaker or a plug for an external speaker.

I can get this particular item for less than $30, so adding Tweet-Chirp would get me in for less than $100. I'd be very interested in doing this is if all of the pieces fit together into a workable system.

Any thoughts on doing this inexpensively?

Steve in Houston

Handheld computers are phenomenally powerful. Aside from the obvious display restrictions, they can do most of the things PCs do. I find the handwriting recognition to be generally excellent, and even my PC can't do that. Voice recognition can also be surprisingly good.

One thing to consider in your purchase is how much battery life you'll need. If you'll be continuously taking notes in the field, or playing a lot of audio, check the device specs to be sure the battery is sufficiently robust. At least one Pocket PC, the Dell Axim X3, has an optional oversize battery you can use as the main source of power or as a backup. Also, if you expect to use it outdoors a lot, check the legibility of the display in daylight if that's at all possible. Display qualities have improved consistently since PDAs first came on the market, so you can expect a newer device to be more brilliant than an older device in the same product line. The debate between Palm and Pocket PC advocates is as fervent as a holy war, so all I'll say is that you should match the capabilities of the various devices against your practical needs. Also check the convenience of the buttons, controls, and casing in a naturalistic setting. Does it slip from your hands in cold weather? Can you scroll with gloves on? Does the cover protect it from moisture and impact while allowing quick access?

My company develops software for handheld computers, and I've wondered if there's a market for a bird identification program that would allow random access to illustrations (e.g., photos, range maps) and audio (e.g., bird calls, expert commentary). It's technically possible to convert an entire pocket-size printed field guide into an interactive handheld program. I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts about the viability of such a product.

Arthur

acgranville said:
My company develops software for handheld computers, and I've wondered if there's a market for a bird identification program that would allow random access to illustrations (e.g., photos, range maps) and audio (e.g., bird calls, expert commentary). It's technically possible to convert an entire pocket-size printed field guide into an interactive handheld program. I'd be interested in anyone's thoughts about the viability of such a product.

Arthur

Arthur
I for one would be very interested but I suspect it might be an uphill battle to convince birders of the worth of such a piece of software. As far as I can tell (and you've probably got the stats) the penetration of PDAs into the overall computer market is tiny. So we're talking about a niche product for a niche market sector; which of course is not necessarily a problem if you can get the price point right and sell enough. What would you estimate the minimum PDA spec might be I wonder? - sounds like a significant storage requirement to cover several hundred each graphic and sound files...

happy to be a beta tester :)

John Fleet

Thanks Pete

I suspected that there was a good reason that the Palm's were cheaper than Pocket PC's.
In case anyone is interested this is the speck of the Pocket PC that I've ordered of Amazon.co.uk (It does'nt appear on Amazon.com).

Yakumo PDA delta
Product number: 1018862

Technical data
CPU Intel PXA 250 – 200 MHz
Memory RAM: 64 MB SDRAM - 36,45 MB user accessible, 100 MHz, 32-bit
ROM: 32 MB (NAND Flash-ROM)
Display 3.5" color LCD
Touchpad yes
Colors 65 K LED backlight
Resolution 240 x 320
Audio Built-in MP3-player
Speaker
Microphone
Buil-in voice-recorder (mono)
Operating system Microsoft Pocket PC 2002 Premium Edition
Dimensions (H x W x D) 121,7 x 76,8 x 11 mm
Certificates FCC, CE, BSMI
Weight 120 g
Features USB-cradle
LEDs (notification, battery (charge)
Voice recording and playback
4 programmable buttons
Jog wheel
4 way joystick
Interfaces Consumer IR
AC-jack
Jack for headphones
Slot for SD Memory Cards

Battery Li-Ion-Akku, 900 mAh (non-changeable)
8 hours (active use)
Power adapter Input: 100 ~ 240 V AC
Output: 5 V AC, 2 A DC
Accessories included Stylus
cradle
USB cable
AC adapter

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for your reply John. I entered a response this morning but it seems to have disappeared. If it shows up somewhere else in this forum, pardon the duplication.

Half-gigabyte PDA storage cards are now available at low cost, which means that a huge amount of information can be packed into a program without taxing the PDA’s capabilities. These programs are usually bought and downloaded directly from the Web, so download time can be a more serious constraint on the size of the application, but that's diminishing with the growth of household broadband access.

It would be prohibitively expensive to develop a PDA field guide from scratch, but it might be feasible to license and convert an existing multimedia product. I imagine a PDA field guide with color photos and audio would be priced just a bit higher than a comparable PC version. I'd be interested to know if there are existing PC/Macintosh field guides or related products that anyone would like to see transformed into portable PDA products.

Arthur

John Fleet said:
Arthur
I for one would be very interested but I suspect it might be an uphill battle to convince birders of the worth of such a piece of software. As far as I can tell (and you've probably got the stats) the penetration of PDAs into the overall computer market is tiny. So we're talking about a niche product for a niche market sector; which of course is not necessarily a problem if you can get the price point right and sell enough. What would you estimate the minimum PDA spec might be I wonder? - sounds like a significant storage requirement to cover several hundred each graphic and sound files...

happy to be a beta tester :)

John Fleet

acgranville said:
I'd be interested to know if there are existing PC/Macintosh field guides or related products that anyone would like to see transformed into portable PDA products.
Arthur

Arthur,
What about Birdguides.com? they do an extensive range of CD's and DVD's which might be ideal for such a project?

John

I did hear somewhere Birdguides were looking into downsizing their products for Pdas.

Not sure if that is true or not, but a birdguides cd on a pda with all their sound recordings would be unbelievably good!
Fingers crossed.

Pete.

RE: Minidisc

Sony has announced the Minidisc Hi-MD. I believe that it will be in the market this spring that as a 1GB blank. It is also backward compatible with the "older" mindisc rercordings.

Detailed info is available at:

http://minidisc.org/hi-md_faq.html

Yes, perhaps there should be a serparate forum for song IDs and also perhaps the technology available to record live and also rip from a CD.

I followed up on this post because I've used a minidisc for several years, not to record bird songs but to have in the field a handy way to play bird songs.

My problem is that with Stokes' eastern birds on it there is not enough capacity to record the songs and also to put the band codes in.

Also, I would like to be able to have search capability, which I believe (?) MP3 players provide.

Also, perhaps some of the PDAs would be a better option?

It would be nice to set up folders by bird groups and have the folders displayed.

My experience with MP3 and PDAs is zilch.

Bob

The posts by other users of PDA not only caused my to post a message but to go out and look at PDA's at a local store. Ended up taking a flash card with MP3 birdsongs I loaded off the net and some of my digital photos to the store and trying out an HP Ipaq 2215.

Impressive what can be done with todays PDAs (last time I used one was over ten years ago).

So, thanks to the many posts on this subject.

Now, just have to talk myself into buying.

Bob

Handango.com, the biggest distributor of PDA software, lists a number of field guides for users of certain Palm and Sony PDAs. They're from the National Wildlife Federation and are organized by states of the U.S.--e.g., Familiar Birds of California. (http://www.handango.com/PlatformPro...tionId=0&catalog=1&txtSearch=bird+field+guide). It appears that these products were released in December, 2003. The publisher advertises:

"Field guide to 90 California birds (including Trail & Backyard birds, Shore & Water birds, and Birds of Prey) makes identification easier than ever by combining a best-selling field guide with new multimedia features for handhelds. The collection includes stunning full-color photographs, augmented with detailed species descriptions, range maps, and life history information. Users can listen to bird audio, zoom in on bird photos, and search for birds by name, size, group and color."

Many publishers of PDA software offer free trial versions that can be downloaded directly from the Web. The National Wildlife Federation apparently does not offer free trials, but the products are cheap enough ($9.99 for most) to pique one's interest. I have not tested any of these, but would be interested in hearing from anyone else who has.

Arthur

Well I used my Pocket PC for the first time this morning (that is the first time whilst birding) whilst doing my webs count. I have to say it was great no running ink, cold fingers and records that I could actually read when I got home. I think it'll be a while before it replaces my notebook all together (if ever) but for activities such as counts and surveys it's great.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back