• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Kingfishers (1 Viewer)

Maybe my last visit of the year due to the clocks going back. Tuesday, two Kingfisher flew past & then one on the usual, sheltered back lake.

Monday I got down Stanford Warren for sunset. A Kingfisher was two tone calling on the lakes. Then sunset fell and it was just getting too dark to see much, as it did a Kingfisher went past giving a stuttered call.
I was there last Thursday and a Kingfisher with two tone calls, centre of the lake.

Basildon, Gloucester Park, fishing lake. A Kingfisher around the lake island, Little Egret, Heron, Cormorants, GSWP and Green Woodpecker.

I was not going to look lol. There were 5 Fisherman. I thought they might have scared off the Kingfisher. But no, there it was by the lake inlet. It was then in the lake inlet & calling. A Grey Wagtail by the outlet bridge. Basildon, Gloucester park lake.

We checked Basildon, Gloucester park lake yesterday but no Kingfisher.
The Kingfisher was down Stanford Warren calling.
Basildon, Gloucester park lake today, I looked over the inlet wall and the Kingfisher was right in front of me.
Really vocal Kingfisher down Stanford Warren this evening.

Three days in a row for the Kingfisher at Gloucester park.
Today it caught a fish and flew along with it and gave 3 calls.
Down Stanford Warren, one then two Kingfisher were calling. At one point in stereo.

Kingfisher again at Basildon Gloucester park. Good views of the Kingfisher down Stanford Warren.
A walk through the NR, a Sparrowhawk flying along the path.

Hi there, I am kingfisher mad, something about them, guess it's the flight, colour and catching fish. I read the other posts and note there's some sightings in Essex. My sightings this week was one on the Mardyke, North Stifford, Wednesday and Thursday evening last week, got some really bad long distance photo's. A couple weeks before spotted one on the Ingrebourne River, Gaynes Parkway, Upminster

Happy Birding. B
There is a pair nesting at Rainham Marshes RSPB which I saw today - a little patience was needed but both eventually showed in view from one of their hides
I live 200 yards from the ingrebourne at the parkway,I used to see at least 2 quite regular there but haven't for a while.
Hi mafu - thanks will have to take a visit to Rainham. Thanks also Sniper, yes that's one of them I've seen then on the Ingrebourne at the Parkway - it's up from the playground, usually on a slow bend or by a concrete culvert.
'

Blimey ; Looks like you lot are/were all loitering around my ol' home patch, or near enough !

Stunned to find that there are/were Kingfishers around my old home area....

I moved from Hawny, near the old Boulton Paul Defiant & Spitfire Airfield, to move up here, midst the land of the 'Webbed Feet' folk.
(Yeah, I'm a Londoner, just got kinda self-exiled !)

Used to cycle with my Son along the R.Ingrebourne (or $--- creek, as the pilots called it), to the "Optimist" Pub, in Upminster.

Looks more like a creek, than a river, with the water as muddy as hell.

In 2001 there was some noticable flooding there.... (as there was across the rest of Europe, that year)

We'd cycle along that smallish footpath & pass those spots you'd mentioned.

Also, we found a spot you lads might still like to use ?

It's along "Ferry Lane" (Rainham), as if you're going to the old "Tilda Rice" storage place.

As the road hooks round, there's a small parking area for cars.

It's right by/at the edge of the R.Thames & there are some old June 1944 'Invasion Barges' that were just dumped there, then filled with concrete....

https://londonist.com/london/history/visit-these-concrete-ships-from-wwii

Take note lads, of the lower part of the link (scroll it down), as it mentions RSPB & other bird types.

I lived there for many moons, till someone pointed it out - it's off the beaten track !

Am told that the car park is situated in "Coldharbour Lane", which is off of "Ferry Lane"
...which I used to get to, crossing the Dover Corner roundabout,
..... then bypass Tesco, at Bridge Rd, crossing the old Dagenham-Dock railway line, then into Ferry Lane.

Still reeling that ALL those years I lived there (approx' 17-years), I never knew about those Kingfishers !

Did see a Spitfire tho' (Ray Hanna, in MH.434), doing a loop over Tesco's, in 1990 :king:

(It was the exact same spot as where the RAF Hornchurch hangars used to be, in 1940)

'

Blimey ; Looks like you lot are/were all loitering around my ol' home patch, or near enough !

Stunned to find that there are/were Kingfishers around my old home area....

Still reeling that ALL those years I lived there (approx' 17-years), I never knew about those Kingfishers !

Good to hear, Hornchurch,
Yes the Ingrebourne River has fish and Kingfisher, seen them there several times. They often fly above the river to take the quick route.
Whilst looking for Kingfisher, a couple times a Barn Owl has been out hunting.

The Kingfisher yesterday at Basildon, Gloucester park.
A Kingfisher down Stanford Warren Lakes. It was again in a bush at the side of the back channel, the bush forming a shelter over the lakeside, against the wind.

Saturday there were a pair of Kingfisher in Birmingham, calling each other and checking out the brook.
It was good to see.
Then surprise Monday, there were a pair on the Stanford Warren lake doing the same thing.
They might have been checking out nest holes.
One flew past with a fish, the male I presume.
One was present this evening, fishing (what else lol).

The Kingfisher yesterday and today at Basildon.
Yesterday a Kingfisher down Stanford Warren lakes, then a first one of the year along the creek, the water was not clear and quite high, so I didn't expect to see it there.
Then a Barn Owl over the reeds which was great.
This evening a Kingfisher again on Stanford Warren.
They've cleared some reeds to reveal the water, yesterday I said to myself it would be good to see a Little Grebe there and this evening I saw one.
Also saw a couple Goldcrest.

Mardyke. North Stifford

Hello,

I saw two kingfishers today about 10 minutes apart (maybe same one twice) along the Mardyke river in North Stifford. Unfortunately both occasions caught me by surprise and camera was off & over my shoulder although speed they were going along river it's doubtful with my camera if I would have got any worthwhile shots.

Mardyke. North Stifford

Hello,

I saw two kingfishers today about 10 minutes apart (maybe same one twice) along the Mardyke river in North Stifford. Unfortunately both occasions caught me by surprise and camera was off & over my shoulder although speed they were going along river it's doubtful with my camera if I would have got any worthwhile shots.
Nice one Nobby! Yes seen them along there!

After an absence of 23 months I made a visit to Stanford Warren.
Common Sandpiper on the creek, Little Grebe in the reeds. Kingfisher flew overhead between the fishing lakes.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back