• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rican Frog (1 Viewer)

HnehpetS

Wannabe Birder
Anybody know what this little frog is?
Taken at night with torch light during a night walk near Monteverde.

Cheers
Stephen

Attachments

• cr_MG_8251.jpg
    cr_MG_8251.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 26
Thanks Andy A.
I'm not sure it is.... this is red eyed tree frog I took on another session.

Attachments

• red-eyed-Tree-Frog.jpg
    red-eyed-Tree-Frog.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 14
OK, working on the features we can see, red eyes and yellow toes, looking at the animals right eye, is there a pale area, projecting from the mouth and connecting to the lower eye?

Working with Savage's 'Amphibians and reptiles of Costa Rica', it could be Duellmanohyla uranochroa? This species is known from Monteverde.

Last edited:
Thanks Andy,

I can make out a small triangular area at the edge of the mouth - not sure it goes right up to the eye.

I've punched the Latin name you suggest into google and reviewed the pictures there - at the moment my judgement is that the frog is probably a "Red-eyed Stream Frog" as you suggest.

I have found reference to Duellmanohyla rufioculis as Red-eyed Stream Frog, but also seen the Red-eyed Stream Frog as Duellmanohyla rufioculis.

Much obliged to you for filling this empty space for me

Regards

Stephen

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back