• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mr Plowden-Wardlaw's (British/Scottish) Bullfinch (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Another guy stumbled upon, with an additional detail (i.e. death year), on ...

wardlawi as in:
• the invalid "Pyrrhula pyrrhula wardlawi" CLANCEY 1947, here (a synonym of Pyrrhula pyrrhula pileata MACGILLIVRAY 1837, from the British Isles)
Obtained by W. J. Plowden-Wardlaw at Kinloch Rannoch, Perthshire, Scotland, on 2 June, 1946.
= Wilfred James Plowden-Wardlaw (1905–1993), ... and onwards.

Disclaimer: Based only on the text below:
The study skin collection is of note as a large portion of that held in the Scarborough Collections originated from the collection of Wilfred James Plowden-Wardlaw (1905-1993), a British-born naturalist who collected birds from all five continents. He spent most of his time in Scotland and British Columbia from which places most of the Scarborough Collection derives.

[Scarborough museum trust, here, p.32]​
Thereby; take it for what it´s worth!

Björn

Birds of British Columbia says "Wilfred J. Plowden-Wardlaw lived in Vancouver from 1940 to 1945 and from 1960 to the present." I have seen him described as a lawyer.

I can add: Plowden-Wadslaw sent specimens from Grenada and the West Indies to the Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut. Possibly he collected at Barbados.

He published:
1944. Northern extension of Canon Wren in British Columbia. Murrelet, 25 (3): 46; 2).
1953. The birds of Barbados.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back