• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lahad Datu (1 Viewer)

eynd

Lahad Datu to Kinabatangan area

Hi,

I am new at this forum. Searching on internet about Danum Valley and Kinabatangan brought me here..

We are a family of two adults and two children.

After a stay at Danum Valley field centre we are going to Kinabatangan Jungle Camp.

Normally Jungle camp picks you up at Sandakan airport. I don't know if they also will pick you up at Lahad Datu.

If not what how do we get to Sukau Junction?
- taxi, local bus or minivan.

I read the local bus from Lahad is leaving early in the morning so I don't think we are already back from Danum so we ar looking to the option taxi or minivan.

Does anybody know if it is easy to take a taxi? What will be the cost?

Thanks for helping!

Last edited:
Hi Eynd and welcome to BF. I think if you also post your question in the information wanted section of Birdforum, you'll increase the chance of someone who can help reading it in time. Sometimes posts like this for individual countries get 'burried'. Good luck :t:

I'm sure that if you contact KJC and tell them you want transport from LD they can arrange it, or at worst who to contact. So many people visit Danum before or after KJC that they will be well versed in what transport is available. I know they are sometimes a bit slow in communicating though. Should be a great trip.

Yes, we contacted KJC but we didn't got un answer until... today!

Their advise: arrange transfer from DVFC to Bilit. We have to arrange this with DVFC on our way in (so before we drive to DVFC). It is not necessary to arrange transfer upfront. Estimated costs 400 RM.

Alternative: take bus/taxi to Sukau Junction and then they will pick us up at the junction. Disadvantage: we have to be there at a specific time. They didn't told us the prices for this...

So far the information I have.

If someone has more informtion about costs of the bus and the busschedule or taxi prices to the junction, please let me know.

Once you reached Lahad Datu town from DVFC, get to the long distance bus stop and ask for private vehicle which is usually a Land Cruiser that can fit 4 persons including your luggages. Prices should be between RM 250 - RM 300 from the town to Bilit village at the jetty.

But if the drivers there knows where is the jetty...

In 2007, we made a mistake and booked an expensive 4x4 organised by BRL to collect us from The Sukau Jn. All we needed to do was take a taxi from Sukau Jn to LD and get the usual bus/ transport in to BRL. Taxis were just waiting at the Jn for punters and were cheap.

Suspect it works the same way the other way round...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back