Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Kestrel

Old Friday 2nd November 2018, 17:57   #1
prc6995

Kestrel

Hi,

Just wanted to share the fact that I saw a Kestrel hunt, catch & eat a mouse while out walking in Hertwood today, overall we must have been watching it for about 15 minutes from between 50-100ft away. We also saw a group of 3 Red Kites soaring over the woods & several Jays.

Peter
Old Friday 2nd November 2018, 19:08   #2
ChrisKten
It's true, I quite like Pigeons

Must have been great to see, Peter. I was very lucky to have a Kestrel visit my garden a few years ago... took a Sparrow, as the regular male Sparrowhawk used to catch all of the Mice.

I think the most amazing thing I witnessed with a Kestrel was at my local reservoirs: A Kestrel was 40m up a Pylon doing nothing, when it swooped down to within a few yards of me and caught a.... (I bet you wouldn't be able to guess) a large earthworm
Old Saturday 3rd November 2018, 10:56   #3
prc6995

Yes it was great, we were very lucky to be in the right place at the right time as we'd taken a slightly different route to where we usually walk.
Old Wednesday 7th November 2018, 17:56   #4
taxonomy.

Good spot, sounds like you were spoilt with those 3 red kites too! I love watching kestrels hunt, their patience always fascinates me. I remember watching one trying to hunt in considerably windy conditions... I don't actually know if it succeeded but she was there for a good 20 minutes.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: