• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uist Garden Birds (1 Viewer)

AStevenson

Finally thougt I'd give this a go.

Some of you will know me from occasional posts in the past, however having moved back to South Uist I thought this might encourage me to do some more sketching etc.

Some birds from elsewhere may crop up from time to time.

cheers, Andrew

Attachments

• MLjuv_1.jpg
    MLjuv_1.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 160
  • rtd_1.jpg
    rtd_1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 142
  • WTE_1.jpg
    WTE_1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 136
Andrew - Great to see you posting here again!!! These are up to your usual excellent standard - really love the red-throat. Hope you're enjoying being in the O Hebs.

My Wife and I have visited North Uist a few times now - wonderful, wonderful place!

Our friend took us out on the first day: 4 Golden Eagles, Hen Harrier and a surfing otter! The machair is wonderful too. And to top it all our friend gets corncrakes in her garden - amazing!

Andrew

Here's one I prepared earlier...never happy with painting...don't do it often enough.

Tim - I see you've been struggling by of late ;)

cheers, Andrew

Attachments

• hhdisplay_1.jpg
    hhdisplay_1.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 154
Couldn't resist a twitch to the furthest reaches of Lewis for a UK tick - the recent black-winged pratincole, a superb flying machine.

cheers, Andrew

Attachments

• BWP sketches_1.jpg
    BWP sketches_1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 94
  • BWP_1.jpg
    BWP_1.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 110
Don't know about 'jammy sod' since I don't have the slightest idea what it means. But these drawings are wonderful.

According to online dictionary sources, it means either a piece of turf wedged forcibly into a tight position or a contemptible or obnoxious person of outrageously good fortune. Take your pick old bean!

You probably posted before my time here after your first 3 sketches I hope you dont leave it as long. Beauties all of them:t:

Wow! Superb work with the Black-winged Prat. I'm most impressed! These flight studies are quite sensational. Don't spoil it and tell me you've done done 'em with the aid of a camera!
Can't wait to see more of the same.

Probably a long shot here, Andrew, but were you in Biedaihe in May 2005? It might have been your name sake who presented the ground agent with a drawing of a Yellow-rumped flycatcher - which I never saw! (the drawing - not the bird).
Cheers

Russ

Russ, You've rumbled me!

The BWP does include some stuff based on my duff pics, though not all. In my defence I spent most of an enjoyable day catching up with Tony Marr.

I'm trying to do more fieldwork I've always never done enough, although I appear to have an ability to store things in my head and then reproduce without the aid of a camera.

And yes it was me that presented Jean with a yellow-rumped fly in 2005 (no pics there!)

cheers, Andrew

Russ, You've rumbled me!

The BWP does include some stuff based on my duff pics, though not all. In my defence I spent most of an enjoyable day catching up with Tony Marr.

I'm trying to do more fieldwork I've always never done enough, although I appear to have an ability to store things in my head and then reproduce without the aid of a camera.

And yes it was me that presented Jean with a yellow-rumped fly in 2005 (no pics there!)

cheers, Andrew

it's a right tour de force this page- the black-and-white RTD and WTE really have something extra stylewise

The sketch of the diver is sublime. Wish I could draw even a hundreth as well as that! South Uist is heavenly, although Tolsta beach gets its fair share of blown in waders during the winter storms.

My best spot on Lewis was a Great Northern diver just off the RNLI charity shop in the water.

A couple of more recent sketches.

Young buzzard from the nest across the road from the house - sketched via my scope - bit of a late fledger and broods of one not unusual here.

Also the female greater sandplover that graced Stinky Bay on Benbecula from June.

cheers, Andrew

Attachments

• bzjuv_1.jpg
    bzjuv_1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 80
  • greater sandp_1.jpg
    greater sandp_1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 88
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back