• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi from Finland! (1 Viewer)

Royfinn

Wifey and I have been birding 1,5 years only. We started with shared Biltema bino of 15€ and after few months we bought cheap 70€ binos that we have used until now. At the start of the this year we bought Nikon p900 camera, that was great add to birding experience, both for identification and for great pics. :t:

Here is our best bird pics from central Finland.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=cnlRRlFkb3FoWFdtaldkQUh4V2JzeUJoOUsxWVNn

Last year we had 121 points from birding and this year we have above 170. As birders we are just amateurs and look birds mostly withing 30 km radius from home. We have nearest bird tower in 600 meters from home (pic of the view included), and while its theoretically nice looking place, you rarely see birds there. :-C

I used this forum a lot lately to read about binoculars and with the help of these forums I ended buying Nikon Monarch 7 8X30, which seem to be great stuff, but I haven't tried it on the field yet (it's snowing outside right now!).

We have cheap (70€) binos of Nordic focus outdoor 8x42 for me and Olympus 8x40 DPS i porro for wifey. The thing is that wifey with glasses can't see much with my binos and I can't see much with her Olympus. :-C The only way I can see the whole field with Olympus is to put it tightly against my eyes, which is too difficult for me, but wifey says she can see well with glasses on, while with my glasses on I see only thin tube of the view - I don't know how that is possible. :eek!:

Attachments

• DSCN2962.JPG
    DSCN2962.JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 11
Hi Royfinn and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

What an amazing view you get from that hide... I'm sure there will be birds there, certainly at certain times of the year.... keep checking!;) You have taken some lovely pictures and it would be wonderful if you could post some of them into the Gallery here.

The guys in the Binocular forum will help you with your binocular viewing problems I'm sure. It's all to do with inter-pupillary distance and which binoculars are best for those that wear glasses. All gets a bit technical for me LOL.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hi Roy, welcome to the forum. I’m sure you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Ilta, Roy.
Ihania kuvia.

The difference in view with binoculars and glasses is possibly due to the different eye prescription and the different types of frames that you both have.

The Olympus 8x40 probably has little eye relief.
I don't know about the other binoculars.
You both might benefit from binoculars with more eye relief, but it is best to try first rather than buying unseen.

I possibly saw Timo Makinen rallying a Mini Cooper S in Jyvaskyla long ago, although I am not sure of the location. I also had one.

Terveisin,
B.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back