• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x42mm bins...comparison of measurable features (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
In geeky mood today, and maybe in the market for 8x42mm bins next year, I compiled the following which may save time for others in the same boat. It´s a table of specs for Zeiss FL, Steiner XP, Leica HD, Hawke Frontier ED, Swaro EL, and Nikon EDG. I haven´t seen 3 of the models, as two are unavailable in Ireland, and another, anywhere on planet Earth (apart from one pair in the ABA shop, it seems). Note the comparison is not "like-with-like" because the objectives vary from 42 to 44mm, and the EL´s mag is higher. But the table summarises the features that I consider most important. I haven´t included anything about resolution, brightness, edge clarity, CA, etc. - only measurements from the online specifications I was able to find for the comparison. Measurements are metric, prices are euro. Do the conversions yourself. Note also that I accept no responsibility for errors, misrepresentations, lies or fantastical confabulations contained therein.

Sancho, Aspiring Optics Geek

BTW, now I know what I really want....an open-bridge 8x with the eye-relief, exit pupil and nano-coating of the Steiners, but the weight, FOV and price of the Hawkes. And the glass bits of my Nikon EII´s. ;).

Last edited:
Sancho,

Don't let the 30 oz weight issue of the Steiner XP deter you. If the weight is correct, they feel lighter, and are noticeable somewhat more compact and actually feel lighter than the Promaster/Hawke. If you concentrate on the weight, then the extra of the Steiner shows up, but it is not immediately apparrent.

Last edited:
Sancho,

Don't let the 30 oz weight issue of the Steiner XP deter you. If the weight is correct, they feel lighter, and are noticeable somewhat more compact and actually feel lighter than the Promaster/Hawke. If you concentrate on the weight, then the extra of the Steiner shows up, but it is not immediately apparrent.

Thanks Steve! Hmmm...interesting. And they have the best exit-pupil and eye-relief of the selection, and are the second cheapest. With aquaphobic coating, always a consideration where I live....

Edit: these bins go by three names...Peregrine (U.S.), Discovery (Europe), and Nighthunter for Hunters everywhere. The quoted prices vary from 870 euro to well over 1,200. I´ve no idea what the pricing policy is, other than "random"....

There seem to be some small variations between the three. I see mention of a "Dual Precision" feature on the Discovery model, enabling each eyepiece to be focussed individually. I´m assuming this is a dual-dioptre doohickey.

Last edited:
Sancho,

Something you might want to take a look at is the optics4birding.com site. I have no connection with them, by the way. But they have a tool that enables you to do side by side evaluations, weighting your own priorities, such as exit pupil, FOV, etc. I don't think they carry the Hawke, but all other models are there. With my set of priorities, the Zeiss and Nikons get the highest scores, but I can tell you it is extremely close, between the top 4, at least. Basically, your going to love any of them. But the tool enables you to say, for example, if eye relief is the most important to me...

They also write some interesting reviews.

Veagle

I actually did the same thing myself on occasions. While I only wish I was in the market for those models (will jump on the right deal), I think as a template it's very useful.

When I was evaluating the bins I owned and the ones I was looking at, it was quite interesting what jumped out at me. One of the most telling things was twilight performance, I always used the square of the exit pupil as the "twilight factor", as do some online retailers, etc. Very useful info.

Unfortunately the reality the buying decision is probably a mix of taste, performance and quality, which vary from person to person, and even binocular specimen to specimen. I'm sure most of us have used many bins that looked great on paper and were terrible in the field.

I would also add prism type, and all coatings used.

It's quite useful to compare apples to apples and a great tool for consumers to be conscientious.

Matt

Thanks. For long term use, I would go for accepatable eye relief. I do not like birding with glasses, but have to start doing it some day. The Leicas were the shortest, 15.5mm.

Strange how Americans list features in mm as well, but then we list weight in ounces and fov in feet. But fov is measured actually only in 0.1 degree usints and the fov in feet comes from a formula.

Thanks. For long term use, I would go for accepatable eye relief. I do not like birding with glasses, but have to start doing it some day. The Leicas were the shortest, 15.5mm.
That´s the boat I´m in, Tero....I need the eye-relief nowadays. Which, I think, excludes the Leicas from the pot. Those Steiners sure look mighty purty though, they seem to have it all except for the slightly (0.3 degrees) narrower FOV than the "currently-non-available-but-far-more-expensive-were-they-so" EDG.

BTW, now I know what I really want....an open-bridge 8x with the eye-relief, exit pupil and nano-coating of the Steiners, but the weight, FOV and price of the Hawkes. And the glass bits of my Nikon EII´s. ;).

Actually take these Dream-Bins, stick an IS-feature on them, and I´d sing them to sleep every night.....

Sancho,

Something you might want to take a look at is the optics4birding.com site. I have no connection with them, by the way. But they have a tool that enables you to do side by side evaluations, weighting your own priorities, such as exit pupil, FOV, etc.
Veagle

Thanks Veagle, I found it...the "O4B Scorecard". A useful tool....it tells me my preference is for the Nikon EDG 8x42, which although it doesn´t "win" in any of my fave categories, has an overall combination of features that most approach what I want. And it´s the most expensive. (A bit like the STV Proportional Representation electoral system we have here...your fave candidate mightn´t get a seat, but you should end up reasonably satisfied with the selection elected. But they´re more expensive ´cos we have 3-5 representatives for every constituency....;))

Don't let the 30 oz weight issue of the Steiner XP deter you. If the weight is correct, they feel lighter, and are noticeable somewhat more compact and actually feel lighter than the Promaster/Hawke.
But presumably they'll still hang round your neck like a brick?

Michael

Interesting math. Three 8X42's with three different exit pupil measurements.
Yeah, I promise the maths aren´t mine....just copied off-of someplace. (Mine would be worse.) But is er a simple mathematical calculation of objective diameter over mag, or do the shape of the eyepieces/eyecups affect it?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back