• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carrying equipment (1 Viewer)

u9jzp6

Hi,

When I go out to take photos I usually carry a knapsack and a shoulder bag. I am wondering what other people carry and if there is a better way to do it. I keep my camera equipment in the shoulder bag where it is easy to access. In the knapsack I carry some food and in the summer, bottles of water. In the cool weather I use the knapsack to put clothing (sweaters etc) I take off as the day warms up and activity warms me up.

When I bring a tripod, I carry the tripod on a shoulder strap on the other shoulder so that the straps from the shoulder bag and tripod form an X across my back and chest.

I usually walk several miles over several hours looking for whatever is out that day rather than setting up at one spot where I expect to see something in particular.

I like the shoulder bag because it is convenient to access my equipment, but it is somewhat uncomfortable.

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a better way to carry stuff.

I am aware there are waist packs but they are not very big. I've also seen photography vests. I have a vest with a lot of pockets but it is very heavy even when the pockets are empty and it would be uncomfortable in hot weather and awkward under a coat in cold weather.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

A dedicated camera rucksack is the only way to go if you are carrying a lot of equipment.Plenty of room for cameras and lenses,usually a strap for a tripod or monopod and pockets for accessories and food.Most importantly of all they are comfortable to carry for extended periods.

A dedicated camera rucksack is the only way to go if you are carrying a lot of equipment.Plenty of room for cameras and lenses,usually a strap for a tripod or monopod and pockets for accessories and food.Most importantly of all they are comfortable to carry for extended periods.

Is there any particular brand or model you use or recommend?

Thanks

Hi bud,
I used a Tamrac which was an excellent bag.Lowepro,thule and manfrotto all make high quality bags and there are many cheaper brands now that make great products.
Important things to consider are strap width and padding for comfort,external straps for tripods etc,enough room(usually a bit extra) for your gear and how waterproof the bag is.Most good ones these days come with a seperate waterproof cover though you can buy these seperately.
My Tamrac was a modular design...you could attach seperate small bags to the outside of the rucksack on various fixing points....great idea but they stopped doing it for some reason.

Last edited:
My recommendations are
1) If you have one get the wife to carry all your gear
2)If she refuses hire a sherpa
3)If the first two are not an option look for a decent rucksack

Consider whether you are likely to buy bigger equipment in the future and factor that in.
Consider if you are likely to want to take it on an aircraft and factor the size
Consider if you need a laptop compartment

You often pay for a name but it's worth getting a decent bag that's comfortable on your shoulders and allows a little space to breath on your back so you don't get too hot and sweaty..

Once said luxury bag is purchased try step 1 again. Ladies love a new bag!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back