• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DSLR, Types of adaptors used, Settings (1 Viewer)

Trinie

Hi All,

I have finally decided to take the plunge into digiscoping. I have have read and researched the different scopes available. Read as much as there is to read in this forum, quite a lot I must say, and before I forget...thanks to all the contributers.

My biggest problem so far is finding information of different set-ups that work well, meaning that they are good in relation to picture quality and especially set-ups that use DSLR cameras. Also by information I mean in layman's terms like what camera connected to scope by so-and-so adaptor/bracket (with layout or pic of how everything is put together). Camera settings with both PS and DSLR that are used in different situations, at what distance and type of day. Sorry if I sound too much like an idiot or like someone who wants life too easy but please remember I am a beginner, I intend to learn to crawl before I walk.

So here goes...

I would love to know what your equipment is made up of, how they are put together, availability of the different pieces and examples of pictures with what camera settings used at the time shot was taken. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Hi All,

I have finally decided to take the plunge into digiscoping. I have have read and researched the different scopes available. Read as much as there is to read in this forum, quite a lot I must say, and before I forget...thanks to all the contributers.

My biggest problem so far is finding information of different set-ups that work well, meaning that they are good in relation to picture quality and especially set-ups that use DSLR cameras. Also by information I mean in layman's terms like what camera connected to scope by so-and-so adaptor/bracket (with layout or pic of how everything is put together). Camera settings with both PS and DSLR that are used in different situations, at what distance and type of day. Sorry if I sound too much like an idiot or like someone who wants life too easy but please remember I am a beginner, I intend to learn to crawl before I walk.

So here goes...

I would love to know what your equipment is made up of, how they are put together, availability of the different pieces and examples of pictures with what camera settings used at the time shot was taken. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Hi Trinie
I use a Canon 20D coupled at the moment to an Opticron 66hd which has a 20x wide eypiece.
The coupling is acheived quite simply, I use a canon 50mm f1.8 lens, into which is screwed a 52mm tube adapter, this onto the 52mm filter thread that is in the lens, my scope is a straight version, the tube then slides straight over the eye piece of the scope and is aligned and joined by three knurled screws which clamp onto the eyepiece body.
Now the one problem with the 50mm f1.8 is it is a plastic body so cannot take a lot of strain, so what I do here, is I have obtained a manfrotto long plate, the front screw mount of which screws into the base of the scope, due to the height difference between scope and camera body, I had to use a rubber block which has a tripod size bush in the bottom which I can screw onto the manfrotto bar and the top of the bush has a corresponding screw which screws into the tripod bush on the bottom of the camera, this therefore takes all the strain of the assembly.
Onto the bottom of the bar is attached my tripod mount block in my case again manfrotto, so that I can now carry the whole lot assembled either by the bar or now I have rigged up a strap so I can shoulder sling it all. When I arrive I setup my tripod, and clip the whole assembled bar with scope and camera and I am ready to go!
I would recommend a video damped head for the tripod and preferably one which will allow you to slide adjust the head position I use a manfrotto MN701RC2 which seems to do nicely, as the sliding plate allows me to find a perfect balance.
Hope this gives some help, I am sure there are similar setups and I am currently looking for a 2nd hand canon 50mm f1.2 for two reasons, firstly it allows in more light so should increase the speed but also the body is more substantial and heavier than the f1.8 so will not be putting as much strain on the filter thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back