• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Conquest HD (1 Viewer)

Last edited:
Thanks, I hit the wrong key. I'll change it in the original post.

Only one glass type (S-BSL7) is used as an example on the Ohara page. Phosphorus is not a major element in it, so there's no "P"

Maybe we should return the thread to the subject of the Conquest HD's now.

Last edited:
okay, I thought so! I guess FP = fluoro-phosphate...? In any case, I am glad to have learned something, and must admit I am secretly thinking now of buying a refractor for stargazing, something I have been thinking of for a long time.
Back on topic now!

Gary,
Can you clarify the close focus distance,please.On most sites,including Zeiss,it's 8 feet,but I've just come across a link to a Zeiss page saying its 2 metres. Hopefully it's the latter.
Thanks,
Anthony.

I was playing with the 8x42 today with a dealer and roughly we got the close focus down to just over five feet.

I was playing with the 8x42 today with a dealer and roughly we got the close focus down to just over five feet.

The attainable close focus will improve for:

1) Those with myopia (short-sighted)
2) Those with good accommodation (younger users)
3) In bright lighting conditions

I assume the figures quoted by optics manufacturers are calculated values for parallel rays emanating from the eyepiece.

John

I'm amazed there still isn't a decent review of these yet, here or on-line. I would check them out myself if the nearest dealer wasn't three hours away!

I'm amazed there still isn't a decent review of these yet, here or on-line. I would check them out myself if the nearest dealer wasn't three hours away!

James:

I just did a quick check of some of the large US net sellers. They are not shipping yet. 3-5 weeks. I suppose you will have to wait.

Those sellers usually get them ahead of any others.

Jerry

James:

I just did a quick check of some of the large US net sellers. They are not shipping yet. 3-5 weeks. I suppose you will have to wait.

Those sellers usually get them ahead of any others.

Jerry

Hi to all.
I've received yesterday an exemplar of Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42. I've compared today vs my Swarovision 8.5x42... I hope to write a small preview on binomania.it during this week end.
Best Regards from Italy
Piergiovanni

The image is bright and pin sharp across the field with perfectly natural colours and I cannot see any CA or barrel/pincushion distortion - even at the edges.

Meopta 7x42 vs Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 vs Swarovision 8.5x42

http://www.binomania.it/binocoli/binoscopio_avalon/gallery/imagepages/image81.html

This is me, yesterday i had the chance to test these binoculars for some time, too little to make a full judgment but enought to get an idea.

In my opinion the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 is not as sharp as the Meopta 7x42 at the edge, i can see easily a difference, the meopta image is more clear.
At the center field i think that the Zeiss is a bit better, natural colours and very good contrast. Im looking forward for meopta 8x42 HD series.

Keep watch binomania.it for a review by Piergiovanni.

Greets

Ivan

Made in Germany.....?

Question for Gary....

Are the new Conquests actually Made in Germany or is that 21st century weasel language for

"most of the parts are made somewhere else, but enough of them are made in Germany so that we comply with the rule that says we can still label our product 'Made in Germany'" ?

My dealer told me that the first shippment Conquest HD to Shanghai would arrive this weekend. Next week I'm going to take a look, and probably buy a 10X42 model for it's 66 degree of view.

Just to add something to the Conquest discussion: the 'old' FL are/were still better binoculars when comparing side by side, in my opinion.

From a birders' point of view, they are very well designed and are just better than the classics: ergonomically, weight, FOV, focus distance, quick and smooth focus (the latter = something still left to desire in any EL/swarovision)

Piers' new review on Binomania pretty much agrees. Also Garymh's. (He works for Zeiss and can't be trusted of course, but it looks like the Conquest HD is so good he didn't even "need" to lie! (o)< )
Ron

From a birders' point of view, they are very well designed and are just better than the classics: ergonomically, weight, FOV, focus distance, quick and smooth focus (the latter = something still left to desire in any EL/swarovision)

Did you mean that the Conquest HDs are better than the classic Victory FLs, or better than the classic Conquests?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back