• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crested tits Skuas any any help for highlands at weekend (1 Viewer)

warrior1966

Hi i am going up to the highlands this weekend and looking for any help on the 2 above i have dipped on crested tits twice will they be on the feeders at loch garten? Also are there any skuas or white gulls around i will be going to the top but not onto any islands.Any help would be appriciated on any of these and other local specialities i am staying in inverness but am mobile thanks

Cresties should be easy on the feeders at loch garten.

White winged gulls could turn up anywhere: Wick harbour might be a good bet though.

Crested dead cert at Loch Garten. Iceland Gull at Loch Oire just South of Elgin. If you come to this area then check Lossie estuary and Burghead for white wingers. Skuas very very doubtful.

Dave

Thanks for your help it is appriciated how hard are the Ptarmigan on Cairngorn,is there anything else i should look for at this time of year.

Thanks for your help it is appreciated how hard are the Ptarmigan on Cairngorn,is there anything else i should look for at this time of year.

The Ptarmigan are difficult every winter. Three people died last week in an avalanche at lower levels than Ptarmigan.

Re Cresties, Loch G is your best bet but they have been sporadic this winter.

you would do well to look in at the coast or take a trip up Findhorn.

Or better still book a guide for a day. DMK Slater has a great reputation.

Cheers.

The Ptarmigan are difficult every winter. Three people died last week in an avalanche at lower levels than Ptarmigan.

Re Cresties, Loch G is your best bet but they have been sporadic this winter.

you would do well to look in at the coast or take a trip up Findhorn.

Or better still book a guide for a day. DMK Slater has a great reputation.

Cheers.

At the weekend, we saw Crested Tit immediately and well at the little feeding station just west of Boat of Garten, on the south side of the main road in from the A95.

Ptarmigan were very distantly scopeable from the Cairngorm Ski Centre carpark, looking across towards the ridge up to Cairn Lochan... as others have said, definitely don't try going up there after them.

Skuas - no chance.

Removed the other thread but just to keep Gordon's advice viewable here is what he said.
Take some seeds/other bird food with you. Coal tits readily feed from your hands at Loch Garten and there are cresties in the tit flocks there.

HTH

Gordon

great visit

Can i thank everyone for there help as just had a great few days and some stunning weather.

The crested tits were very easy at at loch Garten and the amount of cheeky coal tits kept us occupied for an hour here after taking advice they love sunflower seeds and spent ages trying to get in my pockets whenever i rested my hand.

We took a trip up Cairngorm but there were so may snow lovers on skis and boards we had no chance.

Great day in Wick were we got black Guillimot in the harbour.

Then a day in both burghead 6 male longtailed ducks and 1 female,common scoter you could nearly touch and a black guillimot.

Lossiemouth had bar tailed godwit,sanderling,dunlin in the estuary.

All in all a great few days and we will be soon to return for the ones we missed.

Thanks again for all your help

Glad you had a good time Mike and missing some of your target birds,Is a great excuse for coming back..! ;)

Your right we are already planning the return in April to try for others and the Capers at Loch Garten. Crossbills maybe more active then.Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back