• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuban Trogon Near Cayo Coco? (1 Viewer)

gardinerlife

bird n3rd
I'm going to Cayo Coco next week. I would love to see the Cuban Trogon, but I am wondering if it is possible to see them on the Cays?

Do I have to get myself to the mainland to in order to see one or does their range stretch to the Cayo Coco area?

Your comments are welcomed.

Thanks

If anyone is interested the answer to my question is: No.

You have to go to the mainland in order to see a Cuban Trogon.

I will do a report on what I saw soon.

Thanks

never ever trust ebird a 100% on location just by the look of the ebird map.

ebird is still being marketed as a georeferential database, and a lot of research is done with high-fashion fuzzy-vague data models to interprete all those data and some papers even try to prove something based on ebird location data, but if there is one thing that you should not trust in ebird it's the exact pointer of a sighting, as ebird has its hotspot pointers, by design, in sometimes very random places (e.g. the middle of an island, in case of Cayo Coco).

It could well be that an observer rode from the mainland to the Cayo in this case, and has lumped all his sightings from that day (mainland + Cayos) in one list that has the Cayo as pointer.

Many sightings in ebird have exact location pointers, but you cannot select / filter those points.

With apps available for some commonly used bird / nature databases such as ebird, observation, inaturalist,... the way to go is to have exact location info for each sighting, supposed one fills in the sighting the moment he sees the bird in the field. I don't know about inaturalist, but at least observation does exactly that in the field with its app, and all sightings entered this way can thus be retrieved with exact coordinates and even a degree of accurateness of the location (+- 10 meters / +- 25 meters etc.).

I haven't got much experience with moderators in ebird, but the issue I mentioned above (and keep mentioning) is hard to moderate, given the faulty design of ebird for location entries.

A quick search on both inaturalist (which has a transparent moderating system) would have resulted in this:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=any&taxon_id=20844

And a quick search on observation:
https://observation.org/soort/maps/71007?from=1800-05-18&to=2018-05-18

from those two, it's quite easy to see that the cayos have no observations at all for Cuban Trogon.

While ebird has definitely more sightings for this species in Cuba (so less chance that an area is underwatched), it has too many sightings for the cayos...
https://ebird.org/map/cubtro1?neg=t...r=1-12&bmo=1&emo=12&yr=all&byr=1900&eyr=2018#

In short: ebird is definitely more user-friendly to search for species and locations, but in the long run, if they don't change their database, it's the least accurate. Always worth checking other databases as well.

There do not appear to be any reliable records of Cuban Trogon for Cayo Coco or the larger cays of Jardines del Rey, notwithstanding a surprising number of undocumented eBird records. Nils Navarro mentioned Cayo Romano in his (excellent) 2015 book on the endemics. I recently queried this and he told me that it was erroneously based on an older publication.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back