• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bits and pieces (1 Viewer)

JRE

Hello all.

I recently decided to have a go at sketching. A rainy day, internet was down, and I had little else to do. Obviously I didn't start out any good, but I did my best.

Since then I have done a few sketches, and although still very new to it, and even though they aren't brilliant, most importantly I've enjoyed doing them.

Here's a couple of the latest. Unfortunately my scanner has been reducing the quality, so a lot of colour has faded and obviously they are a reduced file size, but hopefully they've come out OK.

Any suggestions/comments regarding technique etc would be welcomed.

Joe

Attachments

• Kingfisher sketch.jpg
    Kingfisher sketch.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Common Swift sketch 001.jpg
    Common Swift sketch 001.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 92
Hello all.

I recently decided to have a go at sketching. A rainy day, internet was down, and I had little else to do. Obviously I didn't start out any good, but I did my best.

Since then I have done a few sketches, and although still very new to it, and even though they aren't brilliant, most importantly I've enjoyed doing them.

Here's a couple of the latest. Unfortunately my scanner has been reducing the quality, so a lot of colour has faded and obviously they are a reduced file size, but hopefully they've come out OK.

Any suggestions/comments regarding technique etc would be welcomed.

Joe

Hi Joe, i love your Swift picture, very nice!
If you put a couple of sheets of paper behind your picture when you scan it, it doesnt fade the colours so much.
Also try scanning on 600 resolution. Hope that helps!
Dont give up on sketching your doing great at it:t:

Hi Joe nice to see your sketches they are really good. The more you do so will your style and technique develope. Looking forward to seeing a lot more.

A great start, these are good. My advice would be to do this whilst watching the birds and keep us posted on how you get on. Looking forward to seeing more.

Hi Joe. Congratulations - you have just conquered THE most difficult part of being 'an Artist' - you have shown your work to the World. Nerve-wracking, isn't it?!
However - you needn't have worried - these are super little pictures. The kingfisher has a nice balance to it and is really well drawn (perhaps it would benefit from having a bit more contrast in the piece, but that may be an issue with the pencils). The swift, however, is a little stunner. The background 'action' lines have really brought it together and adds hugely to the splendidly drawn swift.
Keep it up!

Hi!

You've caught the jizz of these birds so well! Drawing a flying bird is always a challenge (and I'm constantly perplexed by how to get a swift on paper), so I especially admire the swift one. :)

Elina

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's much appreciated.

Unfortunately I have been disappointed with the quality of the images now that they are on the computer. This Swift, being dark anyway, is not really affected, but the Kingfisher has lost a great deal of it's quality. The original is far more colourful and contrasting, so I am disappointed that it has come out so grey. New scanner needed, I think. If time allows I'll try and get a photo of the original, as in the copy above, the true colour is not actually shown.

Joe

Hi Joe, good to have you with us on the best bit of BF! Uploading to BF seems to suck quite a lot of the life from the colours as you see them. I suspect it has something to do with compressing the files for faster display so it's pretty much out of your hands. I agree with Nick, these are a grand start and once you start drawing from the live birds when they are there with you you won't want to stop!

Mike

Well done and , welcome to the best bit as Woody said!
I will just second what nick said really , you've done the hardest part,
now do some more!

A slightly better copy (I hope) of the Kingfisher...

Along with the original sketch which I simply added colour to.

Also attached is a field sketch, done on the spot while watching the bird, of a White-fronted Goose I found at Exminster Marshes (they're rare in Devon, require a description). Sketched on Boxing Day '06.
It hasn't been adjusted at all since I left the spot, and as it was approx -1C at the time as well as the fact that I didn't have a rubber, improvements could perhaps be made.

Joe

Attachments

• Copy of Miscellaneous 010.jpg
    Copy of Miscellaneous 010.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Copy of Miscellaneous 011.jpg
    Copy of Miscellaneous 011.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 60
  • pictures for Birdforum 2 025.jpg
    pictures for Birdforum 2 025.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 66
Glad to see you on this part of the forum again, the kingfisher is much more pleasing with more tonal variety. As for the field sketching - didn't have a rubber??? NEVER use a rubber!!!! seriously, if a line goes wrong, start a new sketch, the birds don't stay still long enough to start rubbing out, you have to keep drawing. What I do in my sketchbook if after sketching I want to remove a line (usually a beak at the wrong angle or a leg that's too thick) I use the rubber band that holds the book closed. Totally agree that cold temperatures make sketching hard, it's easier on bigger paper, the colder it is the bigger you draw.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back